AuthorTopic: Cheetah Men - Apollo + Aries  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Cheetah Men - Apollo

Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 12:28:33 am
The cyan was purposeful, since it was the color that best contrasted against the yellow, and provided best readibility of the detail. The color saturation was also on purpose, to show lots of contrast and read well even at 1x. But since it's causing discomfort, i'll provide a more desaturated edit later. The arm seems to still be causing trouble, probably has to do with messed color priority due to shifting the saturations around... i'm looking into it.

More conservative palette, simplified shapes and shading,less saturation in certain parts.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 02:07:31 am by Turbo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 08:11:17 am

I know what you're saying 'that much??!'. Yeah, that much. Most of your values where close to fullbright. Style is one thing and I'll give you I am not familiar with this character in the least, but unless he's staring straight into a hypernuclear explosion, I don't think there's lighting conditions that call for such eyeburn.

besides colors: you are (sorry if this sounds severe) abusing the real estate of a single pixel at this size. Simplify your forms, the details you are implying carry through to the expense of the art.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:13:42 am by Helm »

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 02:46:59 pm
Here's the concepts i based it on:

You can tell i struggled with choosing the palette with a yellow character wearing a white gi. :)

The heavy saturation i chose was to keep the original's colorful and cartoony style, as seen in american action cartoons of the 80's to 90's (Thundercats, Biker Mice from Mars, etc.), and to have strong contrast. Your edit goes away from that style, the opposite way i think :). But it addresses valid points such as too much detail, and priority struggling in the lighter areas, i see that now, thanks. I'll try to tone down the palette while keeping a bright, colorful, "saturday morning cartoon" style.

edit: new version

and a wip "weapon draw" animation

oh, and it's to display at ye olde 320x240 screen resolution.

edit: and a wip Aries
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:40:30 am by Turbo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Cheetah Men - Apollo + Aries

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 04:40:13 am
The newest one is a great step forward, but if you're not adverse to adding new colors, you could always keep the lightness range you've got going and just add 2-3 colors in he darker areas.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 01:09:23 am
Funny how at a certain point, one makes what he thinks is the best that can be made in his capabilities, and when critique is given and faults are encountered and dealt with, the last iteration shows progress relative to the previous ones, beyond that initial though of "best that can be done".
Thanks for the tips, and the help! I'm glad it's more agreable now, it certainly wasn't a smooth process of me being able to move myself away from seeing the work as finally done and "correct", to adapting to be able to see the aspects which where under critique.
I'll experiment with adding more dark shades, which will surely bring more depth... though i've refrained from doing so due to the light colors of the subject (white + yellow main colors).

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 04:41:07 pm
Hi, one thing I can add, speaking of pushing the Saturday morning style, is it seems that some subtle porportions are lost in your interpretations, I mean looking at the old game sprites your version looks much slimmer with shorter arms, here's an edit

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 03:37:50 am
Nice catch dtek. I have a habit of over-stylizing, and lost a bit of the cartoonish-ness. I'll rework the proportions.Thanks!

edit: worked on some wip animations
Apollo Aiming + Quick firing:

Aries Attacking, together with some different poses tryouts:

Aries Jumping

Probably a bit premature to post these, but posting ends up being self motivating. Still haven't adressed the latest crits, but will do.

edit: some experimentation with stances, i think i'll go with the one indicated by the arrow. It seems the most balanced and the one most indicated for the kind of attack movements i want to have him doing (kali based two-stick attacks). Doesn't look as dynamic as some other stances though... will look into that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:19:23 pm by Turbo »