AuthorTopic: My Pixel Art  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Drazzke

• .. I'm Drazzke.
    • View Profile
    • Drazzke | Home

My Pixel Art

on: June 18, 2008, 03:41:18 am
Hey everyone, I just thought I would post a little robot guy I made today, mainly to get Constructive Criticism, and suggestions, as I am not very good at Pixel Art, and started just recently. I mainly started because I develop games, and I felt I should learn a bit about pixel art.

EDIT:
I thought I would post the rest of my Pixel Art here too, so, heres all of it: (in order of Oldest to Newest)

All made in MS-Paint and or Graphics Gale

Suggestions and Constructive Criticism greatly appreciated. :)

Drazzke.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:01:52 pm by Drazzke »

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Re: Unsure Robot guy

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:02:28 am

you have like a billion colors unnecessary colors in there. i've cut it down to four, and i think (if maybe i was a better pixel artist) i keep the values.
anyway, maybe this will help you in some way.
my advice would be to make robots as robots are made (through the eyes of a five year old). visible parts of metal bolted together, instead of a mass of gray.

Offline Drazzke

• .. I'm Drazzke.
    • View Profile
    • Drazzke | Home

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:07:02 am
Thanks for the advice.
I'll remake it tomorrow with less colours, and I'll post what I have then.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:21:05 pm
Hey Drazzke, welcome to Pixelation!

I am not exactly sure what it is. I guess it is an Unsure Robot Guy. (Or at least, thats what I think he looks like).

This is a bit of a danger sign, and an easy trap for beginners to fall into.  It's not a huge deal or anything as long as you are aware of where this sort of thing can lead!  Basically there is a bit of a fine line between just doodling for fun and working out the goal of the image as you go (which almost all artists do to some extent) and attempting to draw one thing, failing, and trying to pass it off as another, rather than addressing the flaws and working to correct them.  I'm guessing this piece falls more in the former, rather than the latter, so I wouldn't worry about it TOO much.  A good habit to get into early is to start out with a goal of some sort and to see it through even if you're pretty unhappy with where it is headed; you'll find I think that you will learn a lot more from doing it wrong, and examining it with a real critical eye, than you will from doing it right.

Anyways, I hope that made sense!  I agree with infinity's basic critique - you've used a lot of colors and there is nothing about your characters silhouette or pose that really says "Robot."  Also, robot or not, this is a strange and essentially mirrored pose.  You may find it easier to communicate more character and attitude with a more dynamic pose and perspective!

Good luck :)

Offline Drazzke

• .. I'm Drazzke.
    • View Profile
    • Drazzke | Home

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 03:50:09 pm
Thanks AdamAtomic. :)

Well, I didn't work on the Robot, but instead made a little blue-shelled turtle.

I tried to use less colours, but I still feel I used quite a bit :-[, although I tried to follow the advice given so far.
I will remake the robot soon, but I currently do not have time.
Suggestions and Constructive Criticism greatly appreciated, like before :P

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:33:17 pm
I think the body language may hurt a bit, he doesn't look so unsure!

Okay, not your robot I know.  Do you see what I mean though?

Okay, I just thought it was cute.

Offline Drazzke

• .. I'm Drazzke.
    • View Profile
    • Drazzke | Home

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:58:52 pm
Okay, I will work to improve the body language, less colours, and more robot-ish  :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps! ;D

Oh, by the way, this is a little off-topic, but can I post games I create in the General Discussion forum?

EDIT:
I made something else. It is supposed to be a robot in some dark tunnel, not sure if it turned out all that well, but it looks OK, I think.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:19:30 pm by Drazzke »

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:56:17 pm
Okay, I will work to improve the body language, less colours, and more robot-ish  :)

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps! ;D

Oh, by the way, this is a little off-topic, but can I post games I create in the General Discussion forum?

EDIT:
I made something else. It is supposed to be a robot in some dark tunnel, not sure if it turned out all that well, but it looks OK, I think.

A bit dark right now, and personally I don't think there's enough contrast. Not too bad otherwise. However, I think you should go back and work on the first piece more before moving on to another one. :P

Offline Drazzke

• .. I'm Drazzke.
    • View Profile
    • Drazzke | Home

Re: My Pixel Art

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 02:44:00 pm
Thanks, Zero.

I updated my original robot... a lot.

Basically, I chose 6 original colours, and used them for the robot. I remade everything from the head down, and redid the head except for the eye positions, and the size/shape of the head itself.

Here it is: (Old left side, new right side)

I have not added arms yet.

EDIT
Updated the robot to have arms.

Suggestions and Constructive Criticism appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:01:03 pm by Drazzke »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: My Pixel Art

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 03:56:42 pm
This is good progress!  He is a much more interesting character now with a better palette.  I am curious why you chose to dither?