AuthorTopic: Anatomy help... again (and tiles)  (Read 13779 times)

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Re: Anatomy help... again

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 03:25:19 pm
Casti made me a paintover but I know if I keep working that way I'll never improve.  :(

Legs are circles to show you guys how I usually work.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 03:33:00 pm
you have to learn how to interpret what you see and draw what you see, not what you think you see. focusing on simpler objects and primitive forms allows an easy starting ground for practicing this skill as there isn't alot of complex details that can distract you and cause you to become confused.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 07:55:05 pm

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:37 pm
I've been told that... but I've always wanted to make something big and impressive... and I want to make it before the motivation goes away... sadly something smaller would just end up looking like a game sprite.  :blind:

edit *sigh*

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 09:30:22 pm
I'm not really experienced in anatomy, but maybe you could try putting yourself in the desired pose as a reference?

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 10:28:25 pm
I'm not too experienced with anatomy either, but without knowing the gender of the character and the pose you're going for, here's a few things I can offer:

-The right forearm is too short and the hand on the end is small.
-The knees are lower than they should be.
-Your character has no heels on his/her feet.
-The hood on the shirt is a bit small. It doesn't look like it would fit over your character's head.

Those are a few suggestions that come to mind immediately. Again, I could offer a bit more if I knew more of what you were going for. I'm fairly sure that there's at least one comprehensive anatomy thread around somewhere, but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else can point you in the right direction. Although I'd have to agree with the people above that you should start smaller. I know that you want to produce something big before the motivation disappears, but the motivation always returns eventually, and if you get some other sort of practice in, you be better prepared for this when the urge returns.

Then again, that's just my two cents. I have to admit that in all of the time I've done pixel art, I don't think I've actually tried to do a single image that big before.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 11:08:26 pm
You can make something big. But definitely not impressive if you're not willing to wait and take baby-steps.

I don't think it'd look like a game sprite at all.

Well, take the advice above first. And also, realize that the limbs are usually evenly-spaced; the same size. Your forearms are too short, upper arms to long, hand much too small, torso I think is too long, calves too small, no feet at all, really. Most of them were mentioned above while I was typing down this post. His right arm is also... a noodle. o___o I'm wondering where his elbow is. Ah, his thighs too thick, butt too low.

Uh, but if you're /really/ meaning to stick with this... -shrug- Here's some help. It's still anatomically incorrect, but it's a step in kinda the right direction.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 02:36:23 am
Okay, one thing I need to clear up before I show you guys my new WIP:
the character in the last thing was a young boy. He appears again in this incarnation of the pixel, on our left:

I decided to go for something that would skip the anatomy of the body altogether. P: I just don't think I'm skilled at it enough to do that.
I'll be focusing more on color in this piece... probably greyscale, orange, and maybe some red. This would be probably my first piece that would be more focused on color than outlines... any suggestions?

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 03:26:26 pm

I decided to go for something that would skip the anatomy of the body altogether. P: I just don't think I'm skilled at it enough to do that.

There, you see? That's what's stopping you developing in drawing anatomy. Don't draw things that you consider easy to draw, draw stuff that you find difficult. Like Parappa, "You gotta believe!" :)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 01:46:43 am
Are you drawing these with a tablet or a mouse? If it's the latter i can understand how you could be finding it very difficult to easily learn anatomy this way. With pen and paper you can sketch up a load of doodles really quickly, learning from your mistakes as you go, where as with something like this it's much slower, more awkward and harder to work with. I'd suggest learning anatomy in a traditional way, then coming back to this later, you'll find it much easier then imo.