AuthorTopic: Anatomy help... again (and tiles)  (Read 13777 times)

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Anatomy help... again (and tiles)

on: June 16, 2008, 12:47:47 am
Like I said before I'm really terrible at anatomy and Metaru from PJ is always getting on my case about not improving from looking at references and yadda yadda... So yeah. Here I am.   :ouch:

Refs:
http://www.dokuganryu.com/scans/megaten/p3/art71.jpg
http://www.dokuganryu.com/scans/megaten/p3/art53.jpg
http://human-anatomy-for-artist.com/img/tn/herbert_02_fighting/bg_herbert_fighting_21.JPG - nudity
Help? Please?

EDITS:

new version of the above. Trying to bypass anatomy on this piece until I get better at it. D:

tiles! supposed to be simple, they're kinda mimicing the style of Dragon Warrior Monsters, but with a newer look. for Abscure's next game.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:48:54 am by Tarenken »

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Re: Anatomy help... again

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:17:24 am
you're referencing both an anime girl and a real man?? that's probably a problem
it might be a one shot deal

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:23:09 am
...the anime character's a little boy.
I doubt you could find images of little boys in different poses on the internet...

some edits.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 03:54:40 am
its easy to say that your anatomy is off and it is that which is the problem. I however will say that anatomy is not your problem. You have to train yourself in simpler concepts which are the building blocks for higher-level stuff such as anatomy.
what basic art concepts/skills have you practiced? if we know this, then we can better understand where to lead you. there's alot of information and lessons and etc you can find online or in art books. all it takes is an inquisitive mind and the effort to go out of your way to pregressively build upon what you understand with what you already know. Ask yourself what you dont know and you may find areas to which you may need more exploration.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:50:14 am
I understand what you're saying, but what am I going to do until i get good at anatomy? Draw squares every day?  :blind:
Basic art skills... I draw a lot of humans, pretty much. They start out as circles for the body and head, and ovals for the arms.
What I don't know... I honestly have no idea. Perspective? I try drawing people in different poses based on references I see but that never seems to help.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:01:22 am
Looking at your other thread
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6479.msg75854#msg75854

I see a lot of problems in
Anatomy (current issue)
dynamic stance
Proper application of Light source/ volume / shading
Color choice
Readability
Anti alias
Character design

What alex said is true, basic skills is the answer to your problems. I see a lot of people jumping over some advance stuff and can't even comprehend where to start.

I understand what you're saying, but what am I going to do until i get good at anatomy? Draw squares every day?

Try objects with simple shape and form. like marbles, gems, boxes, pyramids etc.. applying all the stuff you learned so far until you can do this in an "almost" effortless manner. Is it pointless? I don't think so, specially if you were able to make good looking sprites with such items. I'm sure all the accumulated knowledge will connect together and you will be able to apply this into your future artwork.
And I really consider anatomy as advanced, specially with the measurements, shapes and the movements the human body can do.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:13:41 pm by Froli »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:54:01 am
i think drawing stickmen is a good way to learn anatomy, its such a simple thing to draw and if you do it enough you will figure out the basic anatomy of a human, then you can start drawing shapes around the lines, a good early combo is circle head triangle body oval arms and legs, then eventually start adding more correct forms.

sorry if it sounds like im treating you like a 4 year old but its how i learnt...

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 11:02:45 am
Work on your other one!

Your other one is a small piece. Once you get that perfected, you should move on to bigger pieces. D:

... Well, that, and I want to help you with your other one.

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 02:43:31 pm
...my other one? That was for a game that's been put on hold, there's really no reason to work on it anymore... also I thought it was about as done as I could get it...  :blind:
As for basic shapes, what am I supposed to do? I honestly don't want to draw them because it'll bore me out of my mind... they're not very interesting subject matter. All my friends who do art never had to practice shapes, why do I..? Am I just inferior or something...?  :-[
I'm just not good at art... I've thought of quitting because people tell me I just can't grasp it, but others tell me not to quit because I find it fun... I'm so confused...  :(

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 03:06:46 pm
dont be silly, we're not telling you to draw random circles and triangles.

every piece of art that kicks ass, does so because below the clothes, the faces...whatever you're seeing there's an structure made of circles triangles, trapezoids, squares...etc. go and look at one and try to see the basic shapes below, then think of your pieces that way.