AuthorTopic: Transforming stuff  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Transforming stuff

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 02:14:50 pm
there's absolutely no priority in that second optimus, if you squint your eyes just a bit he looks like a junkheap. Nice going, Lucasfilm.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:39:46 pm
I kinda prefer the new transformer designs actually. To me, they just look more... interesting with all of the extra detail (plus, it seems to work better with the plot). Yes, Optimus is less readable in the version from the movie, but in defense of that style he is sort of hunkered over in an odd position in that pic and looks much better in motion.

Although I do agree that if you're looking for something that resembles the untransformed version, than the original is the way to go.

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 07:00:11 pm
happy I'm not the only one prefering the old one, but I guess the old models would'nt be that cool to the newer people, so it is basicly a trick to lure more people :(

I agree though to chriskot, you can tell pretty easy the transformed version, not as easy as te old one though...

a further comment, I like the transformation more with the Xbox. it is more transformation in it, it looks much better when parts end up in a whole different part (like the green light bulb). this is not the thing with, for example with the Wii, which just simply expand into a robot.

otherwise pretty cool stuff!

//Albin

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:41:06 pm
it's just plain insecurity of having individuality. The old designs stand out and look like a transformer and nothing else, while the new ones could be any mech. I guess they were afraid people would think of them as toys.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 11:14:14 pm
Why is everyone bashing the live-action Transformer designs?! They were created to fit in a visually realistic movie! The original designs from the cartoons and toys would have looked LAUGHABLY out of place!

Seriously, think about it.

That being said, (and as I previously commented) I still think the transformations would benefit if the viewer could follow some specific pieces from the system to robot forms. Like possibly the DS logo for example. Oh, I guess you did carry it up to it's head.... But the way you bend it, it's impossible to recognize, so I think it's a waste.

Ooh, though I just realized you carried over the DS power light to the robots gauntlet-type things. :O That's a nice touch! More stuff like that!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:20:20 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 11:16:35 pm
my issue is no realism or not realism. it is priority. Tell me if you can easily tell if that arm is in front of the leg or not in that picture. It's just a mess of scribbly detail. Sure, better in motion but still, this is the equivalent design of a newbie drawing a dude with invented huge muscles everywhere and then studiously rendering them with his bic all nice and pillowshaded like

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:38 pm
I must admit, I agree with helm. In the second picture of Optimus, the lowered arm also looks like it's connected to his leg in that pose. You can't really tell. I mean, sure they look cool transforming all those bits and pieces, but still, not so readable as a truck. Heck, even Megatron is just an alien spacecraft in the movie. As for the avatars, they are pretty sweet. The black ones, (Yay for PSP!), are a bit less readable than the others, but still pretty good.

Sokota

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 01:07:34 am
DS bot edit:

I left some parts untouched, but I meant to demonstrate my point about incorporating parts of the system. DS logo on chest, speakers on sides, and power/charging lights for eyes.

Offline Antaros Crossphane

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 10:43:04 pm
The overall animation is quite smooth but the only critique I have to offer is the lack of metallic definition. In the texture, assuming that you constrained the metal concept, should have a type of embossed gloss on it. To show both dynamics and general sheen of the metal. As in efforts to make it both conceptually deep rather than a paper feel, because as the texture of it standards right now, it gives of the conclusion that all the panels are flat and have no dimension, angles, or anything of that sort.

Such as these sticky note smilies :) compared to the smilies on MSN that show a slight embossed appearance through shading.