AuthorTopic: Transforming stuff  (Read 8581 times)

Offline Xeno-Striker

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Transforming stuff

on: June 14, 2008, 01:29:12 am
I haven't really posed anything here yet, so here i go..... !

yeah so i did these a while ago already, they don't really serve any purpose I just thought it would be fun.

C&C would be nice  :D

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Re: Transforming stuff

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 03:23:57 am
wow, these are all actually really amazing. I really like them, the animation is nice and fluid, they feel totally fleshed out and great. Good job all around on these man, for realz.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 04:11:31 am
These are pretty awesome. I especially love the Wii and X360 ones.

I knew I'd seen the DS one before. Do you know Agrifex on DeviantArt? Because he commented on one of my pieces once and he's using the DS animation as his avatar.

But yeah. Very nice work indeed.

Offline Xeno-Striker

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 10:18:30 pm
I knew I'd seen the DS one before. Do you know Agrifex on DeviantArt? Because he commented on one of my pieces once and he's using the DS animation as his avatar.

I had originally made them as Deviant Art avatars, now i see them everywhere :D

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 02:10:59 am
These are, indeed, pretty awesome. I just find it sort of funny how the Wii bot is bigger than the Xbox bot. Niceness tho.

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 07:25:57 am
We'll you asked for some C&C and you haven't gotten much yet so I thought I'd try to help. :) Uh, Maybe try and make the shading (especially the DS and PlayStation ones.) A little more prominent, maybe like some more Contrasts and Depth. Uh, maybe you could use like a cool Glare or Highlight to the darker ones. (Nice and shiny. :D) But definitely great pieces that have even more potential. :y:
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 08:38:35 am
Very cool animations. :D

I think it would be neat if there were some more recognizable parts of the console once it transforms. (Like the 360 power icon! That was especially cool!) Also, it seems to me like red would be a better complimentary color for the PS3 bot. One technical thing: the banding on the sides of the 360 kind of ruins the smoothness....

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:21:43 pm
These are pretty fun!  The mirroring hurts them I think, as do the relatively uniform final poses.  These pieces suffer the same color issues as your other work as well, that massive gap between black and the next color in your palette is a really jarring contrast; makes the non-black areas feel very washed out and desaturated.  I realize that in most of these you're dealing with basically white and black plastic, but I think a larger range of values and a better sense of depth would be a big improvement!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 05:39:44 pm
Keep in mind that you're also banding like hell.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 02:08:10 pm
Just a personal preference, but it somewhat bothers me that in their robot forms I really can't tell which console is supposed to be which.  To me (apologies, getting a little geeky here) it is the difference between the original Transformers designs:

...and the ones LucasFilm did for the new movie:

Notice how in the first one you can tell that it is a truck robot, big clean forms, recognizable colors and volumes.  In the second its just a robot with lots of little bitty parts and forms that are pretty hard to read.  To me your designs are more in the vein of the second design, than the first, and I see this as a weakness.

Anyways, not that I expect you to go through and redo these things that you've obviously invested a lot of time in, just some thoughts for your future designs!