AuthorTopic: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [WIP][C+C]  (Read 30848 times)

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Re: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [WIP][C+C]

Reply #50 on: May 18, 2021, 12:40:19 am
Thank you, Sein.
I know I could (sort of) make the upper body of that walk-with-sword-in-hand animation move up and down a little bit, which I think would improve it, but I'm holding back on adding more frames. Doing that with the jump is paradoxical, especially because so little could be reused from one frame to the next... But I'm playing around, and learning more about animation as I do it. That *may* (I guess......) help me when doing the next animations.

Reusing stuff will be key, by the way. Which I'll analyze in the future when I'm optimizing everything and pulling my hair off.
So far I've been analyzing some well animated NES games, and boy, would they reuse their tiles...

By the way, I may have to cut that smear from the first attack animation because of that. I don't think it could be reused anywhere else.
But I'll do more tries, see what works.

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: May 18, 2021, 09:25:26 pm
Do you guys think this is readable?

---

Maybe he's a tad too small...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:44:07 pm by fskn »

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: May 18, 2021, 10:38:39 pm
Sure. Crouching / picking up the sword to save the princess.  ;D

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: May 18, 2021, 10:45:26 pm
Sure. Crouching / picking up the sword to save the princess.  ;D

https://i.imgur.com/p9IEhEj.gif

Crap. Of course I should use that as a reference! Dumb me...

---

Princess though, huh? Hmm...

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: May 19, 2021, 11:36:48 pm

Perhaps I should remove his left arm and make it so that he's using both arms when grabbing and pulling himself up...

---

While I don't do that, though:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:41:27 am by fskn »

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: May 20, 2021, 05:30:18 pm
Run, rough 1st pass:

It's very cartoony. I may have to take a better look at Williams and Muybridge...

---

Cleanup, 2nd pass:

(still rough and cartoony, though.)

---

Too much noise on his abdomen... cleaning that up too:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:34:12 pm by fskn »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: May 20, 2021, 08:39:01 pm
Nice! Of course, it's still rough and the arms need to move more between frame 6 and 7, but it looks good!

Would it be too distracting to have the golden studs on his barbarian boxer move to indicate that he's twisting his hips while running? Otherwise it kind of looks like a He-Man doll where the legs are disconnected from the hip joints. It's really hard to do this detailed animation with 4 colors and I notice my eyes are struggling a bit to understand which arm is going back and forth at any given moment, because they're exactly the same color.

I'm absolutely inexperienced at this kind of stuff, so don't feel any reservations about outright rejecting my suggestions :lol:

PS: Climbing looks good, I think? I don't know. I can't really tell. I can be of more use if you're animating a spinning wheel kick or something.  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:40:58 pm by cels »

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: May 20, 2021, 08:49:35 pm
Would it be too distracting to have the golden studs on his barbarian boxer move to indicate that he's twisting his hips while running? Otherwise it kind of looks like a He-Man doll where the legs are disconnected from the hip joints. It's really hard to do this detailed animation with 4 colors and I notice my eyes are struggling a bit to understand which arm is going back and forth at any given moment, because they're exactly the same color.
Thanks, cels.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing just that... And the buckle thing should show up too when he's showing more of his chest..? Hmm, I don't know. But I'll try that and we'll see. :P
(edit: It was the opposite of that. :P)

I still have to do more adjustments as I feel it looks too different from the other animations. I might simplify that even more.
And maybe not make him move his arms and legs as much. And also I'm considering removing those boot straps (?), they're giving me a lot of trouble.

---

I'll add in your changes! Thank you!

PS: Climbing looks good, I think? I don't know. I can't really tell. I can be of more use if you're animating a spinning wheel kick or something.  :)
A Kick is going to happen, just not a spinning one. xD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:55:46 pm by fskn »

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: May 20, 2021, 09:42:23 pm

It looks cool, but very funny! :lol:

I guess I'll keep his head looking straight ahead...

---

https://i.imgur.com/q8nIpZK.gif

Made his elbows not go up as much when swinging back... I guess it looks more normal now. Slightly more realistic.
*and cleaned up some more.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 12:20:21 am by fskn »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: May 21, 2021, 06:15:17 am
Looks fantastic. Love the bounce of the hair, the run feels like it has weight and dynamicism from the heavy twisting of the torso. Love it.

Tiny suggestion: The boot straps might be better if you just simplify them to a single smear of light whenever he's moving fast. Just to avoid the noise of those 2-3 diagonal high contrast pixels moving around the screen. Would be less distracting, for me at least.

No spinning kick? At least let him do an axe kick. He's a barbarian ffs. Totally fits his background. :lol: