AuthorTopic: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [WIP][C+C]  (Read 30854 times)

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Re: Barbarian sprite with NES specs [C+C]

Reply #30 on: May 13, 2021, 05:19:46 pm
Thanks for the edits, guys.

One thing I'm trying to avoid with the hair, especially (and failing so far), is to have things that are too regular. Repetition, basically. So later today (hopefully) I'll rework the hair to see if I can keep the overall silhouette yet make the locks of hair more uneven... Maybe two on one side, and three on the other...

I *think* I'm going to try to keep it dark, though, with just a bit of a sheen as to better match those few pixels on the Player sprite yet still trying to give it some illusion of volume.

On that super sexy and smooth chin butt, I think I could even do the, um, cut shaped like a "T" such as:

Dunno if I'm going to keep it. But it's cool, I'm considering it. I'll let that idea ferment some more.

@cels, I think I could even remove those few reddish-brown pixels on his cheeks... Maybe keep a couple near the eyes... Decisions, decisions.
But that looks cleaner.

Yeah, the ... how am I going to call those? The black shadow lines underneath his cheeks on the 16px version look too deep, and he's looking too old. I'll try to make his face smoother. I did that super frickin' quick as I realized games such as Castlevania 3 use 16px wide (actually 16x24px, just checked) portraits, though there they do serve a very specific purpose there, that I don't have here. Mine so far is just for decoration.

Though I could use the bigger one for the Start screen if not for dialogue... Hmm...

Anyways, thanks again for the edits and words of encouragement!

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: May 13, 2021, 08:37:11 pm
Phew! OK, so for the 16x16 version, this is what I ended up with. For now, anyways.
Man, doing these small portraits is TOUGH. I had to change the position of the light, otherwise it simply wouldn't work.

Yeah, I know he looks old. But I'm sorta happy it bears a certain Frazetta-ish resemblance.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: May 13, 2021, 10:38:41 pm
Cool, cool! And yeah, you've certainly set the bar high at this size with so few colors! I'm starting to see why you sometimes indulge in spending time working on my larger characters with no color limit. 4 colors can be rough. But you're doing great and I really love the combination of 80's NES graphics with 80's fantasy aesthetic.

Personally, I would not go for a bright single pixel cheek. As you say it makes him look old, reinforcing that skeletal look. However, I totally get what you mean by Frazetta-ish resemblance. The guy loved dramatic lighting with sunken eyes and raised cheekbones. It gives characters more of that predator look. So I get it, even though I would personally dial it down a bit.

The new 32x32 portrait looks fabulous!  :y:

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: May 14, 2021, 12:58:31 am
What the-- I tried that and wasn't happy, but now you did it and I *am* happy with the result! Haha!

Yeah, stray pixels... I still use them sometimes but they can look completely disconnected from everything else and just seem to be floating there. Good edit, I'll incorporate that. Thanks, cels!

The 32px portrait is actually Seinruhe's, I just added like 5 pixels to it to change the chin from a butt to... a different kind of butt. xD
I still have to work on that hair.

---

EDIT:

Eh, I think this is going to be it for portraits.
I tried a bunch of configurations for his hair, but ultimately I think that having a single dark color works better than adding brighter "strands" or highlights. Though that first one I did looked nice..... Gah, I don't know. I'll leave at that for now.

Do they look like completely different characters? Yes.
Why? Yes.

Sh*t, maybe I need to work more on the 24x24. Damn my OCD!

---

Okay, now we're done. :P

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:45:07 am by fskn »

Offline autotrader

• xeototv
    • xeototv
    • View Profile
    • https://www.xeoto.com.vn/rankings

Reply #34 on: May 14, 2021, 07:12:42 am
I think the sprite is quite good! I also like the animation but the main issue for me is that the punching technique is all wrong. And while that may seem like a trivial detail, I think the success of animation in games like Street Fighter 2 is that those animators really understood proper martial arts technique.

I would suggest looking at some YouTube boxing tutorials for how to throw a good right cross. Ideally, you don't want to lean forward at all. You want him to generate power by rotating his hips. Even for people who don't box, I think this will read as being more powerful. When someone is rotating their hips to throw a ball or a punch, it looks more powerful because it is.

I also wonder if the boots look a bit cartoonish relative to the rest of the sprite, as they only have two colors and appear to have dark outlines (except for the top of one foot).

Great work though, I like it.
Volkswagen Việt Nam mới đây vừa chính thức ra mắt ḍng nhớt động cơ chính hăng hoàn toàn mới Volkswagen Lift III FE SAE 0W-30 với tính năng bảo vệ động cơ hiệu quả và đặc biệt tương thích với các ḍng xe Volkswagen tại Việt Nam.
Xu hướng của người dùng đang dần quan tâm nhiều hơn đến các sản phẩm d

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 08:51:10 am
Hmmm! On a positive note, totally removing the highlights from his hair actually improves readability when viewed at 1X. With only 4 colors, the brighter hair made it a bit more challenging to process the difference between face and hair. Now it's very obvious and you can see it at a glance. Although the smallest portrait now stands out from the others on account of hair brightness.  :lala:

And really, I have to say that removing the deep dark brown wrinkles from the eyes to the cheeks makes him look younger and more healthy to me.

When you have time, I'd love to hear more about what you're planning for the game. Unless it's kind of secret and will be revealed in dramatic fashion. Is there a particular type of game you're emulating, like Golden Axe, or is this something different?

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 10:43:48 am
Although the smallest portrait now stands out from the others on account of hair brightness.  :lala:
Yeah, that has been bothering me. :lol:

When you have time, I'd love to hear more about what you're planning for the game. Unless it's kind of secret and will be revealed in dramatic fashion. Is there a particular type of game you're emulating, like Golden Axe, or is this something different?
It's nothing big or earth-shattering. I intend it to be a simple combat focused side scrolling platformer, kind of like Zelda 2 (just without the overworld stuff), or Castlevania, or Rastan. So you'd go around different places fighting different types of enemies and then bosses. Enemies that would throw/hurl/shoot stuff at you, and some that would fight you on melee, warlocks and maybe evil spirits as well. But I'm not sure on the scope yet. I don't think our barbarian guy will get items that would help him traverse the environment, or any spells, but he may get some power-ups and ranged weapons.

Simple-ish stuff.

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: May 15, 2021, 10:44:36 pm
Working on a font.
Technically I could use 2 more colors and do some AA like in the font I was using... And if I end up *not* having any dialogues, it could be better to just that other one. But.

---

So, um... Yeah.

(7 frames, not 8. Didn't follow any method, just started inbetweening until it felt alright.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:09:08 am by fskn »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: May 16, 2021, 09:11:12 am
Nice, so it's just a simple and modern take on a classic genre, with retro restrictions. I like that.  :y:

The new animation looks good but a bit choppy in the transition between frame 5 and 6. His left leg suddenly leaps forward while his right leg keeps the same stable speed.

The new font looks great, very in keeping with that 80's sword and sworcery vibe.

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: May 16, 2021, 12:46:14 pm
Nice, so it's just a simple and modern take on a classic genre, with retro restrictions. I like that.  :y:
Well, I intend it to actually run on the NES...

The new animation looks good but a bit choppy in the transition between frame 5 and 6. His left leg suddenly leaps forward while his right leg keeps the same stable speed.
Hm, you're absolutely right.

Thanks, cels.

---

There.

Also gave him a bigger belt...armor...protection thing.
(hopefully it reads as that and not as his belly.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 06:06:44 pm by fskn »