AuthorTopic: Water-mill [WIP]  (Read 34737 times)

Offline zi

• I wish you success :)
    • View Profile
    • just one account :)

Re: Water-mill [WIP]

Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 08:42:30 am
The small building is some sort of destiler /for wheat or corn/ ... that is why have chimney and ditch, where to go poor rape and that is why I add pigs and logs :)

smiker - bridge and right window are now OK

32 - put a bit light inside the small building, but I'm afraid to put more ...

=====================
:) GDGB :)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 07:42:36 pm

I just think the trees would cast more of a shadow.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 10:16:56 pm
I absolutely adore your iso houses, but there are two things that don't quite look convincing to me, namely the water and trees.

The thing about water is that if you view it from certain angles, it reflects. If you want to get technical about it, you can look up Snell's law and total internal reflection. I think for water, the critical angle is around 48 degrees or so. In other words, if you look at it from an angle less than 48 degrees, it will reflect. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the case here, but I think it would make it look more natural.

Trees look complicated, but their design also follow certain rules. Leaves tend to be spread out in layers. This is so that the tree can get the most surface area for absorbing sunlight, and each branch has a cluster of leaves. Each cluster/layer casts shadows on the one below it, which leads to the effect you see with the brightest green where the layer ends next to the darkest green where the shadow is. Of course, this doesn't apply to fir trees in the same way since they don't have large, flat leaves. (Edit: On further inspection, it seems to be more related to density of foliage than size and shape of leaves/needles. Some trees have rounder clusters, and some have more like upside-down v-shaped ones. ??? Anyway, look at some trees to see how to mix shadows and highlights for different types of trees. :)) There's also a ratio between the size of the trunk and the size of the crown. I don't think I got the shape of the edited tree quite right, but if you look at some pictures or find some trees outside, you'll get a better idea of how to draw them.

Hope this helps! ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:11:14 pm by Arachne »

Offline Chungel

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 07:00:13 am
I'm not much help on really technical stuff, but the one thing that bugs me is that where the house meets the tree, it seems to me like it's both behind and in front of the tree at the same time.  Sorry if I'm wrong, my eyes are a bit wonky; I'm quite tired.

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name, but what's puzzling you is the nature of my game." - The Rolling Stones

Offline zi

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:43 pm
Arachne you are that right ...

about water - will be better if I have more space in the water to show reflection of the building, but in future will think for that in advance !
for trees must start from scratch again, but I prefer to finish that work and in next will use your opinion because it's great !

Than you so much that show me right way how to think in future ...

Chungel yep need dark colours in that area because that part is in shadows - will repair :)

As entity dislike colours because in palette have too many brown, also need better blue colours for shadows :(
Another problem is that with animation works go over 50kb that is why use only 5 frames for animation of the wheel /need more work over him/, maybe must put more but ... also squirrel Batman will be removed from there ...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 08:26:15 pm by zi »
=====================

Offline Chaos Design

• Chaos Design.
    • View Profile
    • http://xsoftgames.com/

Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 08:15:26 pm
Its looking much better i luv it.
Chaos Design a one of a kind.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 10:10:24 am
Congratulations, zi! Your art is remarkably beautiful! This piece is a true pixelling gem :y:

However, I have a few doubts about the following details:

1. The chimney top does not seem to follow the perspective of the rest: is it intended to be so?
2. Following the logic of the other outlines, I guess this one should be darker.
3. The convexity here (and in the other building, too) does not look consistent with the wall on the right, which looks perfectly flat. I'm not sure whether the very first column of bricks is intended to be slanted to correct the convexity, but, if so, it does not work.
4. Here and in other places (f.ex. 3. again) the broken outlines look like something in-between antialiased and selouted... maybe it is just me, but they don't look exactly nice... they kind of look of minor quality with respect to the rest.
5. The bridge and the vegetables look a tad too flat.
6. There are some brown AA pixels out of the wooden beam, but green would be a lot better.

Hope this helps some way.

saimo

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 02:56:04 pm
It's better, but you wouldn't see the shadows cast by the trees in the water.

This isn't a very good explanation, but my computer is out of commission and this mouse is awful.

Anyway, if you trace those light rays back to where they came from, you'll end up with what you would see. The white rays are sunlight, and the blue rays are light from the sun reflected from the sky. The ground is a rough surface, so it's not very reflective because of many different angles that reflects the light, so not much of it is sent in our direction. It also absorbs a lot of light, except from the colors you see when you look at it. In the shadow, there are few rays reflected, so it's dark. Just a bit of light from the  surroundings and mostly the sky, which gives shadows their blue tint. But water is a smooth surface and reflects all the light that hits it, so here you'll see the sky instead. Of course, it depends on how still the water is, but since shadow is absence of light, and there is a lot of light reflected, there is no shadow. I hope that makes sense. :)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 05:05:55 pm
This project looks really nice.  I did notice one little thing.  Perhaps I am not seeing it but the mill's wheel should be going the other direction.  If you mean for the current to be coming from the other way, then you would be correct.  Keep up the good work.

Jack

Offline zi

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 05:46:00 pm
Chungel repair that problem
saimo
1 - repair a bit - else just want to look with round corners but now is better ...
2 - repair now is better
3 - need more dark because that part is in shadows. This is first look from begining - now area is repaired
4 - I'm not agreed fully, because must have many cracks, but maybe now is better ...
5 - I'm not finished area, but now repair contrast in some parts
6 - yep ;)

Arachne
you are right - I'm not agreed fully but as you say can't see so dark and deep shadows ... Think that must have 3 areas - 1 from directly light from sun, 1 from reflects from water and 1 from direct deep shadow from the trees ... If look on the water will see shadow from the tree but he will be thin and spread from normal shadow on the ground and how you say it depends on how still and deep the water is  ... Now when I look see that need a bit more work need to be more light blue there.

JackBauer24
the water aren't coming from up that is why direction of the wheel is correct.

Thanks for usefull help !!!

Need more work on the wheel and soft animation of the water and some other parts must be repaired, maybe fence must have 1-2px as elevation, but that is where I'm now ...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:50:47 pm by zi »
=====================