AuthorTopic: Sprites and tiles and UI bits, oh my!  (Read 985 times)

Offline ornamentsbyelves

• https://www.facebook.com/ornamentsbyelves/
    • View Profile
    • Christmas ornaments

Re: Sprites and tiles and UI bits, oh my!

Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 09:55:07 am
Altering the direction of the light is going to require changes to thirty-odd existing tiles . . . but I'm looking at on the order of 300 sprite frames (4-dir movement + 4-dir attack + a death animation per sprite, plus casting or throwing animations for some, plus single static sprite frames of 20 other goblin villagers).  So yeah, changing the lighting direction will probably be an improvement in the long run.

Offline eliddell

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 01:18:31 am
Thanks for the edit, fskn!  I'm afraid it's going to be another week or more before I have more time to work on this, though.  Currently involved in coding stuff on a different project.

@SeinRuhe:  The catch is, I'm familiar with a lot of old 2D console RPGs, but not so much with more modern games.  Graveyard Keeper is one of the few that I have knocking around that has good-quality graphics of the right type.  Anyway, I'm hoping to run off a copy of https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3990489 before I get back to the goblin, which ought to help with pose consistency even if the limb lengths are off.
If anything I've said here has been useful to you, please pay it forward by critting someone else.

Offline Voidfyre

• Into the Void
    • voidfyre_
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2021, 08:26:49 pm
Hi, so far I've only been a lurker, but something about your project really called my attention and decided to make an account.

I love all things roguelike/lite, and I love the premise of the story and the idea for this game, wish I could play it now!

So, regarding the sprites, the edits other members made and your edits all look more "pro" if you will, but there was just something so endearing about the original one, it's my favorite one! I think its expression fits the lore you describe better, and the other designs look more like the generic idea of a goblin, more villain-esque, whereas the original one fits a player character better, in my opinion.

If I were you I'd keep the original one and work on improving its quality while keeping its essence intact, and use the other sprites as enemies or maybe NPCs from the goblin town.

Anyways, this project is looking awesome, I'm a sucker for tilebased roguelike sprites.
Keep us updated!