AuthorTopic: Boy with ball.. some C&C?  (Read 3051 times)

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Boy with ball.. some C&C?

on: May 31, 2008, 06:18:35 pm
Hello all. :)

Lately I've been bored, so I tried to work on a piece to work on my texturing and color conservation. This is what I've done thus far.

--

^ Updates
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:56:43 am by brod »

Offline garland

• View Profile

Re: Boy with ball.. some C&C?

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:14:31 pm
Looks good, although I would argue that the.. I guess it's a girl now... I would argue that the globe and her have seemingly different light sources. It could be the lack of a shadow to the left of the globe. Or maybe I'm just being a little stupid.  :crazy:

But really, I can't point out anything in particular that jumps out at me as unusual looking. The whole piece gels well, and the style leaves itself open to your low-detail drawings.

If your goal is to practice your color conservation skills and texturing, this work might be a little within the realms of being easy. You might want to try to create something in more detailed style with the same palette. In this image you aren't limiting yourself terribly, all of your colors are well separated and each color has three shades to itself.

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:55:43 am
Yeah I just like the look of a highlight around the globe. I re did it anyways :D
I'll work on adding more detail, thanks for the help :)

Anyways, I made another update.

I tried to brighten her hair and maker he seem a bit more.. sulky. :(

Offline garland

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 02:09:42 am
Ah, well, I wasn't really referring to the rim lighting on the globe. That looked fine in my opinion. :D The rim lighting helped bring more definition to the edge of the globe, which now sort of blends in with the girl...

But what I was referring to was the lack of a shadow being cast from the globe onto the girl. The light seems to be in front of the girl continuing out in the direction of the globe, so it would make sense for the globe to cast a shadow back on the girls torso. But maybe I'm not very good at lighting...

I rather like that she has less of a neck now though... Comparatively, she almost looks giraffe-like in the earlier ones now, but maybe you could give her one more pixel.

The highlight on the girls hair looks good, but the long shadow underneath doesn't make any sense with the rest of the lighting...Actually now that I look at it some more, the globe seems to be lit entirely separately from the girl. The lighting on the girl looks like it comes from above her head,  judging deep shadows beneath her hair and arm, but the light on the globe comes from off to the right and front.