AuthorTopic: Crocodingus in Cube Island  (Read 22997 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Crocodingus in Cube Island

Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 01:58:56 am
The pineapples are outlined to accentuate their presence.

Lookin' good, madPXL. Nothing really pops out as off to me.  :y:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 05:09:21 am
The pineapples look way way way out of place. They may accentuate their presence but at the cost of the presence of all other things. Important things like the characters and enemies fall into the background. Their outline plus like, the darkest color in the image makes them pop way too far out. Also they're more organic than anything else in the mockup.

I sorta liked the old Crocodingus' eyes. He looks so bored now.

I like the new clouds.

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 05:12:24 am
if keeping the pineapples give outline and more contrast to character and enemies. otherwise reduce the contrast and outline of the pineapples, so style stays consistent.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 09:22:44 am
outlines on pineapples would be fine to me (can they be used as hand grenades ?). They could even be blinking (maybe not in black, though) : i've seen this in early platformer and it did a nice trick ... but they break with the "cubism" of everything else (oh, you may want cuboconuts rather than coconuts, too).

One last thing that seems a bit inconsistent is the slope on the left of crocodingus. You only have 45° slopes in the background and here you suddenly bring in a 22.5° thing in a world of cubes. :-/

+1 on croco's eyes that target the next bonus, but i wonder why you did not keep 2-pixels wide eyedots.
+1 on clouds too, and it would be very fun (though an horror to code) to have two crossing clouds to "merge" into the outline of a more complex figure  :P

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 12:46:30 pm
I would suggest drawing the pineapples in a similar way to the coconuts. They need to be further simplified in terms of the detail (don't shadow the light-dots, make them larger aswel). Get rid of the outlines, as other people have said. Also the leaves following the palm tree look is not working - pineapples have leaves that go upwards like () sortof.

I also love the new clouds! Especially if the centre is transparent. I agree with Xion on the new croc eyes.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 01:39:53 pm

a small edit. It's not working perfectly yet, but it gives me the feeling that continueing your trunk 'till the second set of leaves might bring a solution. Maybe trying to center the 'v' of the leaves on the trunk's center will do it ?

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 02:25:26 pm
well...

I made severals tests for the palm tree, If I want to keep the style of 45° lines, move the top of leaves is not very nice for me...it's just a question of perspectives...

if anybody have a good solution, please just make a try ;)

For the pineapples, I chose the black outlines for a visibility's question. In fact, just try to remove the outline and you will see that the fruit is not visible when it is next to the palm tree ...

Maybe put a black outlines on characters too?

For the eyes of Crocodingus, it's a character very bored.
In its first adventure, Crocodingus is not very fan of what he is doing. It is just here to collects bananas because an old mad monkey wants help from it to solve the nuclear invasion of the island...

thanks again for comments and critics, it's very interesting :)

[edit] a try :

[edit2]

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 03:44:12 pm by madPXL »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 04:09:19 pm
Had a little fun with your mockup! ;D

-Pineapples: I felt the leaves were too strict even for a cubey aesthetic, took outlines away and made them more notorious trough better use of their pallete....I dare you to tell me they dont stand out now!

-Trees: a different take on the leafs...you can have more variation than you think...just the cubey theme doesnt mean they have to be so predictable

-clouds: You should do these trough code, have them overlap on eachother like this...gives a little flashback of Mario clouds.

-water: a slight fading effect

-dirt: Some fun with tile variation

-Croc: I played with his proportions according to the boring mood you talked about in your last post....dont you give up and outline everything!

-Background: Your problem with clarity is using the same tones for EVERYTHING, dont use the stock green just because what you're drawing is supposed to be green! croc got all the neon-ish greens, I made the foreground yellows into green so they dont blend with croc's. Made the BG layer all light blue tones
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:03:01 pm by Conceit »

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 04:53:48 pm
thanks for your great edit conceit, it's more crazy than mine now :)

- I see what you want for the pineapples,

- I prefer the new leaves, it's better !

- the new lines on water are good too

- more variation on dirt it's a good idea

- for the clouds, it's maybe a little too crazy but why not?

- ok for colors on the croco, but I prefer the old head :)

- for the background, still again a problem of visibility with the croco for me...

so ... I will redo it.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 05:05:45 pm
OK, glad it was of so much use to you  :D

I am crazy perfectionist though, I was probably still editing my post and my mockup while you were posting...check to make sure u got the last versions of both :p