AuthorTopic: Different colors on different screens  (Read 6511 times)

Offline JetSetRadioo

• View Profile

Different colors on different screens

on: April 05, 2021, 03:50:51 pm
I was wondering how you deal with different screens? I mean everyone is going to have a different setting, but it's really bugging me. I work on my laptop and TV (both different) and at this point I don't really know what's 'correct' or most widely used. The hardest color is green, because it turns blue on my tv and it's kind of a big difference. I usually adjust my color to my tv because it's the same as my friends' screens.

(I wanted to post a pic for reference, but the attachments option doesn't give me a way to upload)

Offline eliddell

• View Profile

Re: Different colors on different screens

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:25:28 am
The topics you want to look up here are color management, color profiles, color calibration, and color temperature.  The short version is:  setting a display up correctly requires a special device and is too much work and expense for most people not working professionally in a graphics-related field, so chances are good you'll never encounter one that's 100% properly adjusted.  In this case, it sounds like your laptop is set to a warmer colour temperature (sometimes called "white point") than your TV.

Personally, I just always use the same screen, whose quirks I know, and make peace with the fact that no one else is guaranteed to see exactly what I do.

(And if you want to insert an image into a post, upload it to a separate image hosting site like imgur.com or postimages.org and use the address the hosting site gives you.)
If anything I've said here has been useful to you, please pay it forward by critting someone else.

Offline SeinRuhe

• @SeinRuhe
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/127850.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Different colors on different screens

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 05:52:02 am
There's no easy fix for this, you can learn to work based on color code (colorblind designers do this), buy a screen that is calibrated and a device to keep it calibrated (this probably costs a couple thousands) or if you have a really high end cellphone you could check the colors there (they are by far more accurate than regular screens and tvs)