AuthorTopic: girl portrait (anime style)  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife

girl portrait (anime style)

on: May 31, 2008, 04:04:40 pm
Hey, haven't posted in a while....
Started this portrait just to train my skills especially on portraits (never was good at them) would appreciate comments and critiques.

Still a WIP

Face is possiblly finished, hair is still to be done.

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Re: girl portrait (anime style)

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:52:35 am

Sorry about the eyes... I had some troubles with it, so it kept ending up looking weird. :/

EDIT: Ah, eureka.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:56:34 am by digitaldust »
"I am smart! I am smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean S-M-A-R-T!!"

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:02:05 am
Edit:

Offline madf

• One level deeper!
    • View Profile
    • Freaky Studios

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:55:38 pm
I love animé !  :crazy:

Hope you like my version.

No but seriously... I'm not really into portraits but it was fun editing yours. :)

Feel free to visit my blog-
http://ivanov.freakystudios.com/

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 03:50:46 pm
You're off to a good start, Sabata.

If I may, here's some pointers...

Work on your AA a bit.
Use images of anime as reference. The eyes, especially needed work. They're large, which is an anime thing, but the shape isn't quite right.
Also, You need to make sure you don't mirror the shine on the eyes. Pick where the main light sorce is coming from, and work with that.

I can see you tried to draw in the collorbone, but you need to remember that the collorbone isn't higher than the muscles between the neck and shoulders. Use yourself as reference from a mirror.

And lastly, here's an edit I made of your work, Sabata...

I have to say, you did a really good job with the shape of the head and positioning of eyes, nose, and mouth. I didn't have to change your artwork that much.  :)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 03:38:50 am
Hey Ryona i really like your ranma-esque style that you exemplified in your post. its got that classic anime feel to the features that are definitely spot on. its interesting to see the progression of peoples edits to see how they interpret the style.

i took a little stab at a rendering the face and trying not to deviate too far from the original face/hair structure.

im not sure if your ear sticks out, but i definitely had the same idea as ryona to expose the ear, its just got that stylish haircut feel to it and gives the side of the head a bit more mass to it. Currently because the hair style protrudes so far off of her left side, her right side feels a little unbalanced. adding that ear helps that out a bit.

i dont really know what youve planned to do with the body but i had narrowed the neck a bit, but more importantly really simplified the line work here. its more customary for female anime style faces to have a very smooth, nondescript neck, mostly shadowed over slightly by the head where it meets the base of the chin.

mouth placement wise, i tried givin her a little lip, and lowered and simplified the nose a bit.

the biggest thing i wound up modifying was the palette. i happen to like purplish things :/ and so i experimented pushing the skin tone to be more of a reddish hue rather than an orange. i indicated the palette int he image as well to the right to see where i was going with this. the skintones fade in hue from the peachish skin tone to pinks as it blends to the purple. the hair and eye accents also use that same purple color and the highlights start shifting more to blue. i dont think there was necessarily anything wrong with your palette choices, i was just sort of experimenting.

all in all i still like ryona's edit the most so far, its probably the most on-style for what youre looking to reproduce. as you can see youre really not that far off with your features, just a little extra pixel tech will really make it pop with sexy cleanliness.

umm if i were to spend more time on my rendition there are a few more things id readdress on my rendition, (so far liking ryonas the best) but i suppose different viewpoints never really hurt.

Offline falcon

• View Profile
    • shadow village

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:12:29 am
hi,sabata ;D

my english is poor,so i just edit it....