AuthorTopic: Interactive piece (W.I.P)  (Read 15720 times)

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Interactive piece (W.I.P)

on: May 29, 2008, 06:59:03 pm
Hi all, here's my first thread in the artwork section (previously asked some questions in the discussion section which I'm still in need of help with).
Anyway, I have recently started working on a "flash-base RPG game engine interactive piece",
a gift for my brother's wedding, where both the bride and the groom are from the game industry.

I did a tiny bit of pixel arts quite a few years ago, but I never get to carry on as there was no commercial value back then, from where I were.
Till now, I finally get to work on pixel again, and thought that some C&C would definitely be necessary.

Anyway, I'm still in a very early stage of the project at the moment, and lots of scenes were to be made.
I'm hoping to make an effort and post my progress from time to time.

Here are some early shot of the character

The room/house of the protagonist

The town where they reside

ABC Building nearby

I'm hoping to get some advise especially on the interior shot of the room.
There's a wood house version which I modify from the original "apartment" style.
And since the apartment was the original, most of the colors does not seems matching to me when I changed the wall colors.
What do you think?

Also, just to mention some of my source, I took quite a bit of reference from games like Zelda (minish cap and link's awakening), Earthbound for a clean look, Dragon Quest 6 for layout ideas, and Pokemon for it's urban areas. As for characters, I was looking more at zelda and FFVI.

If you find what you see here presentable, take a look at my new blog too.
It's more of vectors and design then pixel art though.
But it's brand new, so bookmark and check back soon, since it's pretty empty right now.
http://rayteoactive.wordpress.com/

Hope to hear from you guys soon ; )

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Re: Interactive piece (W.I.P)

Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:18:03 pm
You're the best. Really. That's an amazing gift. And it looks good too!

Oh but I'm not a fan of the green palettes you used in the town. The grass hurts my eyes at the moment.
Anyway I'll leave the actually advice up to the other members. I just wanted to say I really love this.

Offline Cake Sama

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:43:06 pm
This is awesome  ;D

but i gotta agree with Zen, the green hurts my eyes otherwise it seems fine  ::)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:07:42 pm
I'm fine with the grass colour but what's really lacking for me is the quality for the cat and dog. They're a lot less vibrant and punchy in comparison to the environment, which really kinda takes the focus away from them. I'd consider revamping your colour choice on them first and foremost. The rest is awesome though, I really love your environments, to reitterate. I might throw down an edit in a little bit to show you an idea of what I think would improve them.

Good looking stuff!

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:14:56 pm
you have a lot of perspective issues, especially the well and the green-roof house, compared to the vans....

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:24:48 am
I agree with ALienQuark, also, the characters are really big compared to the enviroments  :-\ I'd expect more of a zelda-size  ::)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:23 pm
I agree with ALienQuark, also, the characters are really big compared to the enviroments  :-\ I'd expect more of a zelda-size  ::)

I acutally love the big characters.  the only thing i don't like is the green roof, everything else seems to maintain itself finely.

one thing about the bridge - a nice, flat shadow in the back there, like what you've got on the house side roof, might not be amiss - right now it wants to sit on the ground even though we know it's in the air.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 04:28:09 pm
Hi all, thanks a lot for the fast reply!
I'm already seeing lots of useful tips here which I can work with.

Zenobia + Cake Sama > I'm really glad that you like it. I used this green thinking that it would set the cute and cuddly tone I was going for, but I guess I overdo it a little. Probably get it change as many of you guys did point it out.

AlienQuark > I guess you're right. The 2 characters are one of the 1st thing that I worked on, so I guess it looks pretty off. However, there are things that I have to stick to, like the cat being grey and the dog being orange, since the color stand for my brother and his bride, and I intend to stay true to that. Then again, I guess I can play around with the saturation a little so not to let the environment steal all the show. I am definitely looking forward to your edition, so please do : )

Feron > Thanks for pointing out the perspective issue. I guess I got carried away while working on it. I also spotted the can in the factory scene to be wrong.

Vertigo-zero> hmmm... I did consider the character size issue before, but I decides to go ahead with it. Maybe I will wait and see what others think of it.

ndchristie > I love this forum. Everyone seems to point out something I missed out. I shall add the shadow then. Thanks!

I hoping to hear some comments on the room/house interior do. There's a wood version, and an apartment version. So hopefully, you guys can let me know which you prefer. Also, on technical issue, I have another thread here at http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6330.0

Thanks!

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:37:45 pm
Alright, after a miserable month with approximately 0 updates, I finally have something to show.

I've finish up the town scene and also rectify some problems previously pointed out by some of you guys here.

I've mainly work on the perspective issue. Now you can see a glimpse of the back roof. I think if we were to pick, it still looks kinda weird. But I have been trying for so long on this issue, I hope if any of you knows how to make it nicer, please help me out here.

I've also worked on the grass patch colors, the well, the bridge, pond and the new floor tiles.

I've created new versions of the characters too.
They now cos-play as Solid Snake with Meryl and a Mario with Princes Peach.

Btw, I was wondering what software do you use to animate gif? I plan to use flash, but that means I will have to finish everything in PS before I lay them out in flash to check the animation, and going back and forth like this can be quite a pain.

Lastly, I just want to apologize for the late update. My computer died on me, so I didn't have a choice. I have also updated my blog so if you're interested, go say hi!
http://rayteoactive.wordpress.com/ ; )
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:40:39 pm by Tobe »

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:53:13 pm
Looking great, only thing I can suggest is more variation in fence posts / bushes?

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:12:59 pm
Maybe use graphics Gale to animate a Gif, look better btw. :D

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 11:16:55 pm
omg its so cute! ^-^

the trees stand stick out, especially when compared to the bushes--either go with the angular bush style or stay with the fluffy tree style.  Either way, these should be more similar. it'll add to the continuity.

the bushes, the fencing, and the well all feel like they are floating off the ground...maybe add some shadows and grass or something and get those planted down!

also, consider the roofing on the well.  it's angled wrong at the moment. nothing some heavier highlights and darker darks couldn't fix ;).

but yeah, love it! ^_^

Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 05:24:23 pm
Once again, thanks for the comments.
Unfortunately, the interactive piece is going to be a huge one and many more scenes needs to be done fast.

As for now, I guess I can fix the well roof, add in the shadow of the fence, bush and well, then move on.
Come back soon for more updates guys >:D

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:43:57 am
reminds me of pokemon somehow... :x
looks cute tho

the bushes and trees dont really fit together =O!
the bushes are so sharp and the trees are so...round :o
maybe you could just make the trees a bit lighter ^^ that would fix it i guess
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Azgardes

• Personal text goes here
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 02:10:04 am
You didn't even bother to change the shading after you copy pasted that 2nd building therer ;D

And on the house in the village, the gable on the roof looks odd, I think it's the shading.

Other than that, pretty neat.

Offline kitty

• LAUGH! :]
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 12:20:42 pm
Everything is so cute and vibrant! It's like a bowl of cereal! :]
Except the characters are plain and normal. :[

If you use fun and unrealistic colors it will make everything more cute!
never pretend to be drunker than you really are

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 03:11:39 pm
Thanks for the help again.
Especially Kitty who even when on to make an edit!
Well, unfortunately the colors of the characters are not to be changed. I know, it's not my color favourite colors either.
The thing is that this 2 characters symbolize my brother and his wife, so the colors are prefix by them, a year or two back.

As for the roof and all... lol, yea, mistake on my part. Gotta fix that tonight.

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 06:12:15 pm
A brief update on a new scene WIP....

It's 90% complete, but I guess it still needs some grass, flowers, trees and fine-tuning.
I've also edited the previous, but I guess I'll just show it when it's ready ; )

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16:18 pm
Well, the thread is probably dead by now, but I still take a peek once in a while. Hoping someone will dig it out and drop some comments. Anyway, I finally have some updates to push it up again. Here they are.

(next 2 image was meant to be side by side, but I cut it up as it was too long)

As you can see, most of the stuff are actually recycled materials. The wedding draws near and I got my work on the other hand, it's a shame I have to do some adjustment to the schedule. I hope it didn't compromise that much.

Offline mangatic

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 06:01:49 am
i think there is something wrong in that img with castle. may be its the entrance/inside of castle, not sure. may be it should be a little darker or you should make a gate there.

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 02:21:18 pm
The thread has been down for quite a while, but I manage to come up with some characters. Well... you can see the environment might be too small for some bigger character... guess I'll have to fix that somehow.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:25:50 pm by Tobe »

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 10:02:47 pm
Well, I came up with the side and back for each character. Frankly the quality isn't quite there, but the wedding is less then a week away, so I gotta make do for now.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 03:23:23 am
I think these look really good and professional level.

theres some stuff that I would point out though, like the crooked perspective on that yellow pipe on the water and I would definitly try and break the monotony of the castle. maybe add some more bricks here and there and try and make diferent windows.

all in all its a great job non the less
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:30:21 pm
I love the characters you have there. To me only issue in some of these tiles seems to be the light source, it's coming from diffrent angle.
Oh and maybe we (people of pixelation) can help you making these  :)
just give us a list and maybe we can do some characters too. (is it a good or a bad idea  ???)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 06:03:33 pm
I think this log could use some work.

More the edge of it, perhaps use the lightest brown from the ground to AA/shade the lower part of the edge?
I tried making an edit but then I realized it's jpeg'd.