AuthorTopic: New/Old Forum-goer and some fresh-baked pixels  (Read 10540 times)

Offline madf

• One level deeper!
    • View Profile
    • Freaky Studios

Re: New/Old Forum-goer and some fresh-baked pixels

Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 10:28:45 pm
All stereotypical vikings have braids!!  :yell:

:hehe:

I like the green on your work. It's calming and nice to look at. And she looks cute too.  :-*
Feel free to visit my blog-
http://ivanov.freakystudios.com/

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 01:46:36 am

Stronger highlights = metallic look  (i know i just kind of put speculars here and there, but hopefully it illustrates the point)

Also, you might want to reconsider the lighting on the horns--very inconsistent right now.

The rest of my edit was just playing with darks to maybe add a bit more depth....idk though.

Annnnnd, the dither for the pants--it adds texture and everything, but hmmmmmm.

Overall cool piece though ^_^.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 01:54:14 am

Is she supposed to be angry?

Changed some things and redid the contour of the leg.

Bent her over a tad.

Messed with her face.

Revamped her hand to look less mitteny.

Hmm, made her legs a bit too long, maybe should have made them skin color, but you'll get the idea.

And don't checker the legs like you did before. It looks awkward. Looks great on the arm, to be honest. Might want to slim the arm down though.

Maybe use striped stockings? :>

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 05:04:16 am
her elbow is a "u". elbows are not "u"s
That's a really weird shield.
Her face hasn't really got much form or shape. It's like a...phlurnff. If that were an actual thing it would be perfect for describing how her face is. But it's not, so I'll say it's...doughy.
I have no idea what's going on with her sleeve.
Her shoes look like...slippers?
her legs are sorta pudgy.
her hat looks more cloth than helmet.

also...

madf: i didn't know you could resize images like that. I was so confused when I zoomed in on it and it became higher res.

Offline garland

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 05:24:02 pm

Well, I decided to try a different pose and see if the picture is any better just from having a less boring pose. It's still incomplete, obviously, as I haven't shaded most of it, but I think I'm a bit happier with the image overall. But I figure I should post it up here the way it is before I continue with it, just so I can get some more criticism on the pose and shape of the body and such....

[edit:]

Yes, I'm completely aware that the weapon just looks like a weird bit of metal pole right now, I don't know if I'll go with a spear, a staff, a sword or something more...interesting... But ah well.

@huZba: The lighting was supposed to be from above, but I guess I just shaded a bit willy-nilly where I felt like it would look interesting. As for the shield, I guess she must only have half an arm, since it just sort of dissapears, or the shield is part of her body?

@madf: I never said this was a stereotypical viking. :P

@Atnas: Nah, she wasn't supposed to be angry. Perhaps moderately dumbfounded. The face could still use some work, add some character to the expression. As it is now, she basically just has FF6 eyes. :D The legs are rather...uhm...over the top. I see your point that the legs are currently rather young girl/boy-ish, but that's perhaps a little much for "warrior". Sorry about the mitten hands, I guess I got lazy.

@Xion: The "u" elbow was unintentional, considering the original outline I drew was for a buff manly-man. Unfortunately I can't do muscle structure at the moment, so I kinda just went for a fluffy girl. Sorry about the wierd shield, I guess it's supposed to be broken off at the bottom. It looks neat, but I'm not sure its worth carrying around. As for the face, I tried to add more form to it in the edit. (If you can call it an edit.)

Offline madf

• One level deeper!
    • View Profile
    • Freaky Studios

Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 11:42:28 pm
Quote from: Xion
also...
madf: i didn't know you could resize images like that. I was so confused when I zoomed in on it and it became higher res.

rofl...   ::)
Googled some random image just to find the braids, but it was too big so I didn't want to flood the thread.

Quote from: garland
@madf: I never said this was a stereotypical viking.  :P

True true, also there's not really such a thing as female stereotypical vikings. Because the women were not like the men at all. I guess you can relate to valkyries instead, but that's another story.

Anyways, about the new pose, It feels like she's fighting something. I like it more, also the face looks alot better. Can't really comment on the body since it's incomplete.

Well, I don't know about the proportions of the legs, guess It'll look better when they are shaded so that I can see the dept.
Feel free to visit my blog-
http://ivanov.freakystudios.com/

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 12:13:53 am

Offline garland

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 12:34:55 am
A bit of an update:

I finally got the time to finish up some shading on this, since I've been gone for the past week to Washington D.C. and New York.

C+C again please.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 05:14:59 pm
How old is she supposed to be? The straightness of her body makes her look definetly pre-teen.
You need to put her through puberty. Give her some curves.
The most prominant feature of a woman is the shape of her form. Nevermind a pretty face, long hair, feminine dresswear, etc... That stuff is all secondary. The silhouette of a woman should be distinguishable from a distance away.

I'm a little too busy, otherwise I'd show you what I mean with an edit.

*MODIFIED*

Actually, I'll just show one of my sprites for example.
This one is a good example since there's nothing really "girly" about her appearence, yet she appears to be a woman.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:24:33 pm by Ryona »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 06:46:59 pm
The colour of the helmet still makes me associate with cloth (same colour as her tunic and Link's hat). Maybe you could make it a different colour and add a metallic rim to it?