AuthorTopic: A newcommer  (Read 2834 times)

Offline madf

• One level deeper!
    • View Profile
    • Freaky Studios

A newcommer

on: May 28, 2008, 08:41:42 pm
- Wake up. Stand up. There you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?

Hey everyone, I'm madf~ and I have come here too seek your knowledge.
(No, I'm not roleplaying, seriously...  :crazy: )

Short about me
* Name: madf.
* Style: Righthanded.
* Does: studying multimedia at a university in Sweden.
* Hobby: Drawing, ModTracking, the demoscene and Playing the piano & guitar.
* Dislikes: Isometric projection.
* Personal Flaw: I'm not sure.   :-\

To sum it up, I'm a sucker for oldskool games and music, I'd choose NES/SNES over xbox & Pony Slaystation anyday.
~Which is how I became intrested in pixels in the first place. I've been drawing for a long time, but have never shared my work with anyone, thus not letting me evolve. Times change, and so do we- so let's make something good of it!

Introducing my art

EDIT: I'm trying to get my harddrive restored, I'll be back with som real pixelation later.

Thank you for your time.
// madf
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:27:55 am by madf »
Feel free to visit my blog-
http://ivanov.freakystudios.com/

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: A newcommer & his Introduction Art

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:52:38 pm
you're blurring.  pixeling is all about drawing it pixel by pixel without having a tool to render the job for you.  also, it looks like you made a small tree, copied it, pasted it, stretched it out, and repeated to get your perspective on the forests.  not the way to do it.
if you have more than one tree, draw all of them, or least come up with a bunch that you can copy paste and combine to create an area.  you're using the same tree almost everywhere.

and I think you have the wrong idea about what anti aliasing and pillowing shading are.
anti aliasing is basically smoothing rough edges.  you use different shades of your rough edges and basically blend them accordingly.  this does not mean blur!
again, you place each pixel manually, no tools other than the one to place a pixel.  there are plenty of aa'ing examples out there.

pillow shading is...well, your outcome looks like a pillow.  bright in the middle and gradually gets darker all the way around it.
people use pillow shading in round objects mainly, and they forget about the light source.  shade away from the light, as you'd see it in real life.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:57:41 pm by Joseph »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:53:33 pm
1 - Welcome to Pixelation!!  Glad to have you, and best of luck in your pursuit of the pixel art...

2 - Pixel art is generally taken to mean that you control the value of each pixel...thus, stuff like the airbrush tool or soft-edged brushes are, well not really illegal but it is impossible to control your pixel values with them, as they automatically generate LOTS of in-between colors.  In this case, well over 256, which is the limit for an 8-bit palette.  This piece really isn't pixel art at all, if we were to get all technical about it!

3 - Your picture looks quite flat - check out landscape reference photos and paintings and note (if you have to use the eyedropper tool even) how the colors and values change as terrain approaches the horizon.

4 - While color choice can help this some the perspective is pretty wacky still, especially as you approach the horizon.  It doesn't have to be completely realistic but right now it does not communicate the idea of depth at all.

5 - You might want to try starting with a smaller, simpler image.  At this size really giving every pixel the attention it needs can be very difficult!

Offline madf

• One level deeper!
    • View Profile
    • Freaky Studios

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:06:05 pm
Looking at my picture as it is now, I like it, but you're right, it's not pixelart.

I never used the blurr before, I have loads of art which contains pure manually placed pixels. It's just that, that art is lost due to a hardware crash, I guess I became a little lazy and started to blurr and copy+paste. :'(

Thanks for the welcoming gesture Adam.
And also for the feedback, guys. I know what to avoid and what to think about. :)

However, I'll try to dig up some real pixel-art, I'd be happy if you judged it.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:34:19 am by madf »
Feel free to visit my blog-
http://ivanov.freakystudios.com/