AuthorTopic: Which software do you use?  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Karies

• View Profile

Which software do you use?

on: May 26, 2008, 11:12:10 pm
I have seen many awesome works since I'm an common visitor of this forum.  But sometimes I cannot figure out how you can do that only using software like photoshop or something.  Sometimes you attach color palettes and also you make wonderful animations.  I'll appreciate If you tell me what kind of tools you use for doing that!

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Re: Which software do you use?

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 11:22:10 pm
I believe this is in the wrong section, and this has also been answered many times. Look around.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 11:57:14 pm
Graphics Gale.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:27:24 am
     First I should point out that the quality of the program does not make the quality of the artist. Most programs just make things faster or more convenient for an artist. On that note, I use ProMotion Lite, because it is far cheaper than ProMotion, and has all the features I use.. or at least feel like learning how to use. ProMotion Lite will cost you 30usd, but if you feel like buying the full ProMotion, it's 80 usd..
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:21 am
Trying ProMotion now, I already prefer it. Is there any way to map the color sampler to a rightclick?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:15 am
     First I should point out that the quality of the program does not make the quality of the artist.

Amen to that, because I use MS Paint.

Before I get jumped on by the hordes waiting to tell me how crappy Paint is and how I should switch, I already know. I use Paint because it's what I've been using for years and I can operate it faster than I could hope to operate any other program in the relatively near future. I am ultra-comfortable with it, and to compensate for its shortcomings I usually keep GraphicsGale Free Edition (which I am slowly getting better with) open in the background, so that I can copy and paste things into it if I need any of the extra tools. Inefficient, but considering my work speed with Paint, it's still the fastest way for me to do it. For now at least.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:18 am
     First I should point out that the quality of the program does not make the quality of the artist.

Amen to that, because I use MS Paint.

Before I get jumped on by the hordes waiting to tell me how crappy Paint is and how I should switch, I already know. I use Paint because it's what I've been using for years and I can operate it faster than I could hope to operate any other program in the relatively near future. I am ultra-comfortable with it, and to compensate for its shortcomings I usually keep GraphicsGale Free Edition (which I am slowly getting better with) open in the background, so that I can copy and paste things into it if I need any of the extra tools. Inefficient, but considering my work speed with Paint, it's still the fastest way for me to do it. For now at least.

comfort and competency certainly beat fancy trick tools, but I'm reminded of that chapter in The Ugly America where the woman makes longer brooms for the villagers who all had crooked backs from the short ones...arrogance and ignorance of that story aside, it makes a good point about what proper tools will for people if they give it an honest effort.

i only use IDraw 3 for the same reasons as he uses Paint, but IDraw is also a great program in general, particularly for its photoshop-style selection masks and thousand history states.  Pro Motion is easily comparable and probably beats IDraw on several grounds (although there are tricks in IDraw i've not seen in Pro Motion yet), but i found it clumsy for someone so used to a different and just as serviceable program.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Riskyproductions

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:34:43 pm
     First I should point out that the quality of the program does not make the quality of the artist. Most programs just make things faster or more convenient for an artist.
Seconded. All you have to do is choose a program and get familiar with it's features, toy with setting to find what's comfortable. I use GraphicsGale, mostly because it's lightweight and has all the features I need, plus a handy preview window. Also, it has more zoom than anyone would ever need (4000x!) and layer support. I just run it off a pen drive, never crashes for me.

The only real reason I don't use MS Paint is I was told very early that GraphicsGale was a great, free program for pixelling, and I got used to it.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 08:36:50 pm
Deluxe Paint II enhanced (in dosbox)  ;)
plus my own tool on Nintendo DS (which is far from being ready for the masses :P )

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:35:20 pm
Graphics Gale. In a few years hopefully my own program - I haven't found a program I really like for pixelling (save GG, but it's still limited, even the shareware version). I don't want to adapt to a program, I want a program to adapt to me.  ;D