AuthorTopic: O hello thar  (Read 2974 times)

Offline RichardisRaving

• View Profile

O hello thar

on: May 26, 2008, 12:35:03 am
 I is new el oh el. This would be my first pixel work that did not include a thick black outline. It's some sort of fish thing. 'C'and'C' would be cool.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: O hello thar

Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:08:55 am
Welcome to pixelation, Richard!  Congratulations on moving away from white backgrounds and black outlines, you have taken the first big step!  Some thoughts:

1 - My first impression is that the beast is quite flat - it looks more like a fossil or a relief than a really 3d animal.  Try checking out photos or paintings of fish and see how the lights and shadows work on them!

2 - The anatomy is pretty confusing here.  The tail is very reptilian, not fish-like at all, and the head and foot/flipper construction is rather hard to read.  Do you have a reference for this creature?  That would help us to focus our feedback more.  New pixelers and new artists in general will sometimes be tempted to draw fantasy creatures simply so they don't have to learn how to draw real creatures...but you'll find it is very hard to draw good creatures, even if they're imaginary, if you don't have a grasp of the fundamentals of existing beasts.

3 - Your animal is a pretty uniform, light color all over, which makes it a little boring to look at.

Be sure to check out tutorials thread, where you will find all sorts of good pixel and general art tutorials!

Offline RichardisRaving

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:26:50 am
Thanks for the feedback. I tried a bit more dithering to darken it up, and am in the process of giving it a more lizard-like structure while maintaining the loch nessy bit. The idea for the legs was to have the knee inverted, but I see that didn't work...
I made this up as I went so I don't have any reference. Anyway, better one or two?

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:47:21 am
The first thing that came to mind is 'penis'. I don't know if that's what you're going for but I thought it was worth mentioning. :P

In general, the pallet is really boring, like you just slid the brightness up and down on MSPaint. Play with different hues, try to eliminate a color or two. Adam otherwise had good advice, just keep working at it. :y:
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline RichardisRaving

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:54:57 am
 I wasn't going for 'penis' but I think from here on out I'll say I was. It's a message to our youth.

In general, the pallet is really boring, like you just slid the brightness up and down on MSPaint. Play with different hues, try to eliminate a color or two. Adam otherwise had good advice, just keep working at it. :y:

:-[ Wow I feel stupid. That's what I did.

Edit:

I changed the front leg, added a fin, and changed colors.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:03:55 am by RichardisRaving »