AuthorTopic: Three WIPs  (Read 21400 times)

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Three WIPs

on: May 25, 2008, 07:05:03 pm
Here's some stuff I'm working on atm.

I was going for a garish old school look and used the NES palette for a bit but I modified it because it wasn't doing me any favours in the face area. :(

Remake of Alex from SFIII for a challenge at Pixel Joint to make an old age version. But I kind of quickly stopped caring about making him look old and shifted priorities to just finishing it because I haven't ever made a decent looking fighter sprite.

One I started yesterday. Based on this image: http://www.thelastwonderoftheworld.com/PODimages/153.jpg.

Crits would be wonderful, I'll keep you guys updated on these. Thanks.

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Re: Three WIPs

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:18:54 pm
I'd say they're all going good right about now. Ony thing I don't like is the use of pure black in the bottom ones hair. Maybe a color more like: R: 77 G: 73 B: 66. Wait that's lighter than the rest how bout: r20g20b23
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:21:43 pm by Talos »

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:04:14 am
Ony thing I don't like is the use of pure black in the bottom ones hair.
Why? I don't see the problem with it. Is it just because its pure black or does it actually make the image look off to you? maybe my monitor needs calibrating...

I like the way the bottom one is going. It isn't terribly close to the reference but I don't think that's much of an issue. Uhhh no real crits from me
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:56:33 pm
If i have a real crit it's that you've made a white person with black skin in the third one, not a black person.

see how the lower version maintains his racial identity, while yours rapidly becomes a spokesman for guinness?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:10:57 am
Thank you Adarias. :) You're very right. I'm just doing some sketching before I enter the eerie world of pixels so I can get it right beforehand and righter when I actually apply it.

Y/N? 

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:42 am
You appear to be making up some shades (temples) and angles/widths (forhead width, eyebrow angles). I'm not saying thats wrong, because the artist's job is to be more appealing than life (this is debatable, I believe, but I'll say it anyways because I've not a lot of time to think about it), I'm just saying you should be aware and know why you're doing it, and if you really want to deviate from the image in the way you are.

I'm really impressed with your overall technique, I'll make sure to keep checking this thread.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:00:45 am
You appear to be making up some shades (temples) and angles/widths (forhead width, eyebrow angles). I'm not saying thats wrong, because the artist's job is to be more appealing than life (this is debatable, I believe, but I'll say it anyways because I've not a lot of time to think about it), I'm just saying you should be aware and know why you're doing it, and if you really want to deviate from the image in the way you are.
Actually that's mostly a side effect of my mental retardation. I was reffing off of Adarias's lightened version and not my actual ref so I just made up stuff as I went. :-[ In faaact...

Anyways I'll stop fiddling with this sketch and maybe get to work on the actual pixel. :-*

I'm really impressed with your overall technique, I'll make sure to keep checking this thread.
Thanks. <3

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:41:28 am
Great progress. Before playing with hue, deal with value. Push the contrast, cover a range. There's so many variations of black people complexion, but that person looks African, so I'd say a deeper ebony fits him.

When you use a washed out reference, you're not seeing the highlights on the skin (this is a problem Godslayer faced recently also). This is a shame as black peoples' skin is very beautifully reflective in terms of specular qualities. It turns yellow light into a strange metallic sorta dead blue and whatnot. There's many movie examples you can look at for more of those. Black people when stylized should look it in their noses and lips a bit, I edited to that direction. The red arrow points to a ubiquitous highlight a person with oily skin (or just sweaty) gets that I find brings so much 'spirit' to a drawing of a face. You might not want to abuse it, but keep it in mind.

*edit, I realised you're not using a washed out reference, good. So you know where the highlights hit. Make use of this knowledge instead of inventing lights for now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:44:48 am by Helm »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 02:37:19 am
I just came out of a little slump full of roguelike playing and hockey watching, so sorry for the lack of updates. But I have one now. Also I decided to turn this into the real piece and not just a sketch because... I want to. Doesn't make sense to set myself back for something that's done for my own enjoyment anyhow.

And as it so happens the website that had my ref is down, and I didn't save it. So, Helm, your edit was quite helpful. <3 Here's the latest:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 03:00:44 am by Cow »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 03:19:03 am
I, however, did.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)