AuthorTopic: Three WIPs  (Read 21503 times)

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Re: Three WIPs

Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 03:27:26 am
now that I saw this on a proper monitor it looks fine. Damn Mac. :ouch:

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 05:40:23 am

smallish update

not dead :ouch:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 02:21:39 pm
This neck is a tree-trunk. Because it's obscured by the beard in reference, you make a call that is false! This means you need to do a lot more studies on physicality on the fundamental level, not from looking at photographs only. Learning sizes and lengths of the various parts takes a bit of book study, I'm afraid.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 02:11:25 am

Work continues, beard is added (kind of), small tweaks on pretty much everything, ear. I'm getting kind of sick of this but there's a long way to go yet.

This neck is a tree-trunk. Because it's obscured by the beard in reference, you make a call that is false! This means you need to do a lot more studies on physicality on the fundamental level, not from looking at photographs only. Learning sizes and lengths of the various parts takes a bit of book study, I'm afraid.
Is this the power of... SCIENCE? I will look into this. Now that school's done I have time to hit the books. :B

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 07:32:27 am
I think that you have either misinterpreted or invented some of the highlights on the piece. For instance the forehead highlight is misplaced as are the highlights on the nose and cheek. For the most the facial structure is fairly accurate, however I would broaden the cheek somewhat and now that I look at it the crown needs a little reshaping (not seen in my edit). Clean up the hair a little it may help when defining forms as it has the potential to be somewhat misleading. I attempted to emulate the eye lid highlights more, however I think it turned out a bit off (he looks high), but I hope you get the idea. My main point is at this stage (after correcting the highlights) you can just start refining details. I hope my sloppy edit helps a bit at getting the image more similar to the reference.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 06:19:01 pm
I think that you have either misinterpreted or invented some of the highlights on the piece.
The latter. I was without adequate reference during the time that the broad strokes were made.

I really like what you did with the nose. Thanks for the thorough crits. Update coming soon.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 02:02:34 am

Needed a break from the other guy.

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 01:55:02 pm
that left hand looks squashed, backwards, and amorphous. i'm not that great with pixelling hands, but i'd try a more "fighting style" friendly position for it to be in.
like the right hand in the reference.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 03:43:59 pm

Also I might take this opportunity to say that capcom art is pretty hilarious. We're all being mean about the HD remake of SFII, but this isn't really much more plausible or useful imo. What is that, a tumour ready to pop on his shoulder?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 09:17:29 pm
I'd just like to note the fact that SF3 and SF Alpha sprites have this weird widened quality to them because the arcade machines they were originally displayed on had non-square pixels, the pixels were slightly taller than they were wide so this results in our viewing the sprites as strangely wide.

Not that it excuses the bizarre construction of Alex's left arm....when animated the movement of his hand is even more inhuman.