AuthorTopic: Grass (help needed)  (Read 9226 times)

Offline zuloon

• View Profile

Grass (help needed)

on: May 25, 2008, 02:46:37 am

a) How can I make the colors match my goblin?

b) How can I make a less repetitive tile?

EDIT:

I changed the colors to what I want the game to look like.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 03:12:47 am by zuloon »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Goblin... please help

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 02:50:59 am
I think the shirt definitely falls into category of "pillow shaded". This means that you have bright colors in the centre and dark colors on the edges. You are not taking into account a light source. You need to add some darker shades and draw shadows cast from head and hands onto clothes and legs. What kind of perspective are you going for?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline zuloon

• View Profile

Re: Goblin... please help

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:54:34 am
I think the shirt definitely falls into category of "pillow shaded". This means that you have bright colors in the centre and dark colors on the edges. You are not taking into account a light source. You need to add some darker shades and draw shadows cast from head and hands onto clothes and legs. What kind of perspective are you going for?

Thanks for the CC.

Top down.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Grass (help needed)

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 03:00:17 am
Are the two pieces related? I can see how the grass is "top down" (ie camera directly above) but the orc clearly isn't. Do you have an example of what you are trying to achieve (eg. a similar game's screenshot?)
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline zuloon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 03:03:14 am
Maybe not top down...

here:

Like Zelda's perspective.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 04:18:53 am
3/4th's

Offline zuloon

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 02:15:08 pm

Here's the start to my new grass... but I need help choosing colors.

I know that if I only use those colors, it'll look repetitive. However, all the other colors I've tried either look too similar to those in the tile or too out of place.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:05:15 pm
I gotta eat now so I can't give you an elaborate explenation, but I hope this speaks for itself :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 04:07:17 pm by Opacus »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 04:24:48 pm
Here's the start to my new grass... but I need help choosing colors.
The best trick i found so far is to use HSV gradients rather than RGB. E.g. click the "generic 16-color palette by Arne" image ahead, pick his dark-green, bright-green and yellow in your favourite image editor and build a hue-saturation-value raster out of them. You should then find proper colors for drawing your grass.

If your orc doesn't read well over that new grass, just decrease grass saturation alltogether, and it should be better.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 05:54:52 pm
There are whole posts contributed to how to choose colors, I can't provide the links for them though.
Either way, I tend to notch saturation down when I go to my darker shades, and add a little blue to it, and raise my saturation when I'm adding highlights.