AuthorTopic: Ship C+C help needed :D  (Read 2794 times)

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Ship C+C help needed :D

on: May 15, 2008, 08:39:49 pm
Well, i've had this idea of like "sky pirates"..
Just pirates that fly in the sky, live in the sky, have ports floating in the sky etc etc.

and i can't seem to get the wood on my ship to look right >.< Please use the colours i've used *5 in total i think*

Idea for the sky

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p181/tikeshe/cloud.png
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:06:00 am by joe123 »

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Re: Ship C+C help needed :D

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:10:29 am
I'm too lazy to edit but you have to remember - wood has texture. Here's a real plank of wood to provide a visual aid:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 05:07:11 am
Welcome to pixelation!

Absolutely ignore Corsair's whole post.  No wood grain would be visible at this size, that is preposterous.

Finally, as far as critique or feedback goes, it might just be because I am tired but I can hardly bring myself to type all of the same things over again, so you're gonna get the condensed version :P

1 - don't work on white
2 - think about the shape, the REAL shape of what you're trying to render
3 - think about how light would hit it - is it reflective?  matte?
4 - don't color your outlines like its a coloring book
5 - choose an interesting viewing angle
6 - don't use angles where curves are needed

You can find all this and more in the maaaaassive tutorials thread in our general forum.  It has all sorts of great stuff including pixel technique-specific things for advanced users, but also tons of general art tutorials for beginners.

Finally, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but sky pirates have been done, and done, and done, and done.  They are still awesome, don't get me wrong, but sky pirates is old news!

yosh64

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 01:26:55 pm
Hey

Where are the sails? the treasure chests and barrels? the lookout? the thingy at the front? the ladders and ropes? the steering wheel? you also need to take the lower deck down a shade and think more about the lighting.

I'm kinda doing an edit that I might post later.

edit

Here is a really quick and not so good just yet edit. But yea, just getting started with it.

Anyhows hopefully it gives ya some ideas or something.

cya
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:59:55 pm by yosh64 »