AuthorTopic: Shooter Mockup [WIP] [NAUSERTIAN game]  (Read 12839 times)

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Re: Shooter Mockup

Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 03:32:53 pm
by the moment, i've added a soft-fx that 'reflects' the background to make a water-reflection effect. do you think it works?
This way waters and mountains seem to lie on the same plane (which would make reflections impossible), whereas they lie on perpendicular planes. To fix this, during the rendering of waters, just skip a line every other so that the waters occupy 1/3rd of the screen and the mountains 2/3rds - by the way, this also fixes the unusual effect that waters - a horizontal surface - occupy more space than the frontal background.
The progressively disappering sinusoidal waves effect looks  fine :) - edit: on second thought: now that I look closer at the picture, it does not seem that progressive, but rather a 2-step process... is it so? mmm... it looks weird... I'd go for a continuously decreasing amplitude.

saimo
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:43:01 pm by saimo »

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Re: Shooter Mockup [WIP] [NAUSERTIEN]

Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 03:38:00 pm
what do you think?
The blue one for me, because of the better contrast with the foreground.

saimo

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:18 am
what do you think?
The blue one for me, because of the better contrast with the foreground.
The green one is the one where you did the best job at picking the good color ramp, but i admit the blue one will read better (green one still "jumps" at my eyes, and green is the color we see the best, iirc).

Maybe try to re-work the color ramp for the blue one, e.g. going from blue to de-saturated dark blue (rather than your current purple-blue-green ramp that doesn't correctly change the luminosity.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:24 pm
tnx a lot 4 all :)
i was busy fixing bugs on the engine, but i'll follow your advices to make this go well.
by the way i'm short of time cause i'm doing more than one project (one of them with US people in the well known BYOND'd DBO2. ^^ so i'm a bit stressed right now.

little edit of the brick tiles (i dont know if it went better but i like that 'dead' style for such a game like this one:
1 . do they look over-contrasted or they give the right effect that they are ruins? what do you think?
2. which laser beam is better at first zoom? im going to rotate that colors to give the doors a cool effect.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 05:43:27 pm
Your bricks aren't even close to tile.
Half bricks and duplicated bricks that are stacked on each other kills the look.
Also the darker bricks that you put in there makes symmetrical patterns.
Try making them look more random .

Offline smiker

• View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 07:58:53 am
some video update to show the power of my engine. i know that it isn't any pixelart at all, but i cant move this topic to general or any category else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crB_M06WUh8

that's an ingame video. will update soon.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 12:17:57 pm
looks like you've come a bit... rocket physics seem very strange. like you shoot into the ground (without actually pointing the rocket launcher into the ground) and then 1 second after you can jump 4 times the height you could before.
Also the climbing animation seems out of place. The ladder is blended into the background so you can't actually see anything.
I'm guessing you didn't make everything since you don't even know the commands the console can handle.

but yeah, you're palette seems to need some work in order to make sure everything is visible.
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline smiker

• View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 08:46:06 am
haha i do coded everything, the matter is that in the version showed on the video there are some commands that aren't implemented, they were implemented later....imo i think that pallette doesn't work....

Update: Now static lighting!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:46:46 pm by smiker »