AuthorTopic: Invasion of the sunflowers  (Read 3777 times)

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Invasion of the sunflowers

on: May 19, 2008, 06:21:50 pm
hello pixelation,

I am really stuck with this piece, I've been working on it on and off for over a month now and I'm not sure what to do with it. Feel free to give me some really heavy C&C on this.

I mainly need help with the background. My problem is I don't know where to take it. Right now the bg is temporary; I don't think the whole grassy bit and the city/castle/whatever it is is really working.

Also any critiques on my sunflowers are welcome (except for the very left sunflower...I obviously haven't gotten around to finishing that one). And any help on my palette would also be good, and Note: this is supposed to be an 8 colour piece.

Thanks  ^-^

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Invasion of the sunflowers

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:38:07 pm
Nice start!  I like your palette a lot.  I think the sunflower stalks are a little weak, they lack the dramatic stylization of the flower itself or the dark outline of the pot, they're kind of hard to place I think.  For the sky I think some thoughtful but simple cloud silhouettes would work great!

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:39:17 pm
First think about what kind of tricks you can use to make the impact greater. It's an invasion by sunflowers,so what would make the image itself more invading? Have the flowers drop toward the viewer, as if they're almost going to hit you. Give them some speed and agression. It's fine though if you want to keep it deliberatelly very two dimensional. You can still convey movement by bending the leaves and petals. Having one of the flowers hit something adds violence and violence is GOOD!

As for the backround. It's INVASION theme. So try bringing in some doomsday atmosphere with big and heavy dark clouds and maybe a hole in the sky punched by the falling flowers. Add some small rays of light as a reminder of how peaceful the world was before to create some contrast  ;D

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:01:01 pm
A bit confusing if they are falling down or taking off the ground. Maybe make some loose petals on their path to clear that out?

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:07:57 am
Thanks guys for the comments...sorry I've taken so long to reply :huh:

Ptoing's really inspired me with his crazy robot thingy to continue working on this. As a result I ended up making it the same size as his piece, 640x480 :crazy: sorry for completely ripping you off D:

It's still extremely sloppy and a lot of it is NPA resized and rotated at the moment. All will be properly pixeled later, but right now I want to get the composition looking good. At the moment it still looks a bit off...