AuthorTopic: Warrior practise  (Read 6159 times)

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Warrior practise

on: May 17, 2008, 07:09:18 pm

images

C&C pls
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:36:01 am by yueprofile »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Warrior practise

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:22:41 pm
Realistically speaking the armor plating adds way too less thickness to the character, however, the muscles are so amazingly oversized that it compares. The only issue left is those too big hands and too thick arms. Please include the animation frames next time, so I can actually analyze your sprite more thuroughly.

Offline Caliber9

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:55:27 am
To me the body does not fit the head, i think the face looks pretty young and the body looks like a strong developed man body.  It also looks like the head is colored differently than the rest of the body and it makes his head looks like its pasted on a different body.  The body is much more red while your head lacks that same amount of color and detail.  Looks better with the armor on, but I agree the arms are too big and the hands too large.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 02:01:16 am
Is this really how you work? Is this your process? from smal head to musclebody then armor on top on a ds mockup? Do you come from a sprite editing background?

The muscles are mostly invented, and I find the 'anime head on a body builder' effect kind of garish. The lighting on the armor is ok yet on the whole the pose and how the plating falls on the body parts suggests you are not clear on the volumes of the body parts. As mentioned, the head is not very well connected to the body, regardless of the style clash.

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 05:41:07 am
Realistically speaking the armor plating adds way too less thickness to the character, however, the muscles are so amazingly oversized that it compares. The only issue left is those too big hands and too thick arms. Please include the animation frames next time, so I can actually analyze your sprite more thuroughly.

hi thx for the feed back

i feel the same way when i was doing the armor...
and i also think the left arm is a bit misplaced

i included the frames, pls give more suggestions thx

To me the body does not fit the head, i think the face looks pretty young and the body looks like a strong developed man body.  It also looks like the head is colored differently than the rest of the body and it makes his head looks like its pasted on a different body.  The body is much more red while your head lacks that same amount of color and detail.  Looks better with the armor on, but I agree the arms are too big and the hands too large.

there is reason for the head and body difference
although it's a very bad reason

i was actually working on a anime like 2 head little character
then i changed my mind after i finish the head- errr
and i didnt feel like to go back to change the head again - smack==

thx for your opinion

Is this really how you work? Is this your process? from smal head to musclebody then armor on top on a ds mockup? Do you come from a sprite editing background?

The muscles are mostly invented, and I find the 'anime head on a body builder' effect kind of garish. The lighting on the armor is ok yet on the whole the pose and how the plating falls on the body parts suggests you are not clear on the volumes of the body parts. As mentioned, the head is not very well connected to the body, regardless of the style clash.

hmmm no, just showing when different layer are turned on/off
the reason why i seperate the head/hair/body/armor/weapon is that i want to switch moudules
to change outfit of the character

my back ground.. hmmmm no.... this is my first half year on pixel art or any kind of art =_=b
i was a programmer before, so i kind of dont have background -.-

anatomy is one weakness of mine, i actually looking at anatomy books when doing this one
and obviously i still get it wrong, i guess it just take time to be good

would you like to do some editing if you have time?
 thx

=======================================================
to all

here is a question, the mock up i wanted to do is kind of a side scroller fighting game
should i go with very muscly style or more anime cuty style? what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:57:41 am by yueprofile »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 02:09:51 am
So If I have gotten this right you are having him naked so you can add interchangeable equipment to the character. In this case... my attempt at an anatomy review.

I think I am getting pretty good at anatomy :-X (a statement that usually hails a stream of retaliatory corrections from others). I have attempted an edit though not finished it better demonstrates how a person should look (if they are crazy toned).

*I recommend killing the anime head and going for a more realistic look as it looks more badass and seems to better suite the way you shade.
*One thing about conveying muscles is that they are covered in a nice layer of skin, something your guy seems to have a paper thin sheet of. Remove the drastic lines separating muscles and make it a bit more subtle.
*Its true that you have made up the muscle anatomy a little but the lines you have got there can still serve as some guide as you progress, in fact I used them to help with my edit at times.
*My edit might not be finished but one big thing I noticed was the way the arms where attached, you really need to re-proportion those he seems to have some nasty tumors popping up on his shoulders making them f*ing huge.
*A lot of the details of the abs and legs are obscure. I think that you shouldn't worry about the censoring. Just leaving the penis out is fine as you need to know where the pelvis is if you are going to be attaching the leg and ab  muscles correctly.
*Your characters abs are very blocky, this gives the impression he cant move them. Remember to give your character a flexi-spine and let the muscles shape to accompany that flexibility.

I hope these things along with the edit help you out a bit. If I recall anything else I wanted to mention I will be back. ;D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:12:12 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 04:56:43 am
So If I have gotten this right you are having him naked so you can add interchangeable equipment to the character. In this case... my attempt at an anatomy review.......I hope these things along with the edit help you out a bit. If I recall anything else I wanted to mention I will be back. ;D

cool thx!!! i will do some edit on wednesday
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:59:03 am by yueprofile »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:12:01 am
I think I am getting pretty good at anatomy Lips Sealed (a statement that usually hails a stream of retaliatory corrections from others)

Sorry!  :(

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:56:29 am
 :lol: I was kind of hoping someone would do that (I knew my guy was short but wanted him stocky looking as he was holding a 2 handed axe and wearing armour). At least I wasn't too far off, most of the muscles in mine are in the right places though a little disproportionate. I do like the continuety of yours a lot more as mine seems a bit pieced together. my guy also seems to be suffering from 300 syndrome... with his insane 6 pack!

p.s. I have been making more and more little modifications to the image and posting them up secretely since I first posted it.  :P
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:57:39 pm
I think I am getting pretty good at anatomy Lips Sealed (a statement that usually hails a stream of retaliatory corrections from others)

Sorry!  :(

wowowowow............... so good
that's how muscles connected together
thx a lot

i feel the waist is a little bit long tho
i dont know, what do you think?