AuthorTopic: A tileset..  (Read 12038 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: A tileset..

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 04:04:14 pm
Thank you both. After about 15 mins, I think I made a tilable middle piece. Here it is.

New-Tileset

New-Mock up

What I noticed is, before the grass didn't fit with the tiles because it looked so de-saturated.. but now with so many more rocks, it looks like the rocks are too saturated.

I think I'm going to keep the area behind the background with that style.

Opinions?

No no no! Go back to your first tiles!
These are extremely busy and distracting. The first tiles look lovely.

The tree needs change. Everything looks nicely detailed except the tree.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 04:39:33 pm
That's REALLY busy. For the middle piece, it would be better to every now and then have a few suggested stones  the same color as the very edge of the edge peices themselves. It will be subtle and fill up the void with something. (I was really mainly talking about the cave wall, not the ground when I mentioned the middle areas)

The main character's feet are too dull and don't stand out.   ;)

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 10:48:10 pm
No no no! Go back to your first tiles!
These are extremely busy and distracting. The first tiles look lovely.

The tree needs change. Everything looks nicely detailed except the tree.

Alright, I don't like the new ones that much anyway, and I liked the style I was going for. As for the tree, I'm working on it :(

That's REALLY busy. For the middle piece, it would be better to every now and then have a few suggested stones  the same color as the very edge of the edge peices themselves. It will be subtle and fill up the void with something. (I was really mainly talking about the cave wall, not the ground when I mentioned the middle areas)

The main character's feet are too dull and don't stand out.   ;)

Ooh! I think I understand what you mean now. Alright, I'll start on a few little rocks and throw them in here and there.

Changed the character's feet, and finally finished his animation. Here he is walking.

Critique?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:00:57 pm by brod »

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 05:45:54 pm
walking looks good, just needs those arms and a face.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:20:50 pm by Joseph »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 06:42:04 am
the walking animation should involve more of the legs, imho -- and maybe the lowest part of the torso as well.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 06:50:05 am
actually, for the walking. i thought it was his idle pose, but he is walking on an angle, once hes moving straight across it will look strange. and one more thing, in moving the head up and down your extending his waist, not his legs. but apart from that it looks good

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 05:10:22 pm
the walking animation should involve more of the legs, imho -- and maybe the lowest part of the torso as well.
Not quite sure what you mean, think you can explain it again more clearly?

actually, for the walking. i thought it was his idle pose, but he is walking on an angle, once hes moving straight across it will look strange. and one more thing, in moving the head up and down your extending his waist, not his legs. but apart from that it looks good
Yeah, it's just that I'd rather work with slight angles than totally left or totally right sprites, they allow more detail and a better prespective of the sprites. I don't know what you mean by extending his waist. The waist doesn't change, it's just that when someone walks, their torso doesn't stay in an exact position, it goes down-stationary-up-stationary and so on, which is what I tried to apply.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:13:52 pm by brod »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 07:09:06 am
well if your gonna work with angular sprites you really need to do it to the tile as well or its just gonna look awkward, as for the waist movement, what i mean is to get the effect you add a pixel into the waist/thigh instead of it happening with the straitening of the leg. sorry if im not making any sense, if you still don't get it i'll do an edit

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 10:23:44 am
Not quite sure what you mean, think you can explain it again more clearly?

(a) is the amount of animated legs in your current anim
(b) is what imho should be animated instead. since his sweat is obviously loose and covers his butt -- which will move too when he'll walk

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 12:51:03 pm
Hmm, I'll see what I can do. Until then, I've made a few updates.

First of all, here's a new screen of the game.

I scrapped the circular green things with a Kingdom Heart's styled HP Bar system. (Fully functional)

Second..

I've updated the tileset. Mainly the tree texture, but it still seems wrong to me. Help greatly appreciated with that tree.

Lastly..

I've updated the character. This is now the main character of the game. His left hand (our right) is where he holds his weapon.

C&C greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:14:51 pm by brod »