AuthorTopic: A tileset..  (Read 12020 times)

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

A tileset..

on: May 16, 2008, 10:36:27 pm
Hello all, I thought it'd be good to get some critique on a tileset I've been working on.

-Tileset

The tree is giving me a lot of trouble.. I don't know how I should finish it. It seems like it's missing something. And I'd also like some help or some ideas at least on what to add to it. (It's supposed to be a forest tileset)

Here's a few other stuff I've worked on..

-Character

By the way, it's being used in a solo project I'm working on. If you'd like to see the progress of it, you can click here to view it. (Made in Game Maker 7)
Thanks..!

Tileset v2 (WIP):

Character v2:

Tileset v1:

Character v1:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:06:19 am by brod »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: A tileset..

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:56:54 pm
Though I like the entire HUD design and concept, the game just feels empty and dull... You should add detail in background elements, like plants growing against the rocks. Also the rocks do need some sense of stone texture on the fill parts. Further.. yeah, I don't really know what else to say and state. Guess there just isn't enough content for me.

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:09:04 pm
Hmm, I'm having a lot of trouble with background designs, details aren't my strong point, I hardly have any strong points, really. I'm still trying though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:14:45 pm by brod »

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:05:48 pm
Hey, that's great work. You did impressively with so few colors, especially on the tree trunk. I have some suggestions:

• Add another color on the lighter ground. It's really hard to tell one layer of that ground from the other, so add a slight outline.
• The dirt looks really flat in the middle areas. Add some rocks or something to break up the monotony.
• Change the green. It's a weird neon color that doesn't fit well with the desaturated ground. Make it darker, etc.
• The area under the door/hole doesn't read well. I think it's supposed to be something you can walk on, but it looks like something you're supposed to jump through.
• I agree about adding extra stuff. Just make little bushes and vines and stuff. They don't have to be exciting on their own, in fact they should be subtle. But it is very boring without some variety when you're playing a whole game.

Like I said, good work. I wouldn't bother writing this if I didn't like it :).

Edit: cool, I didn't see you had a game. I'll try to play it this weekend and let you know what I think about it.

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:42:42 pm
Thanks, ig :)

As for your suggestions,
  • K, I did that. You're right, it looks better and is much clearer than before
  • Middle area..? You mean the plain color or the rocks on top?
  • Alright, changed that too. I made it less saturated and a little lower in lum
  • Not sure what you mean...
  • Alright, I'll start working on some

Here's what I've done so far..

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:47:57 pm by brod »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:52 pm
By "Middle Areas" he meant everything that isn't an edge. What you have now are nice busy edges to your tiles, with blank stretches of monotone color killing any aesthetics you have without them.

If you fill up those spaces your background will look a lot better.

I really like your rocks and sign, can't say I like the tree, character, or grass. The grass is way too saturated compared to everything else

The tree is just boring, as it's really just a rectangle with fringe.

The character does not fit with the tiles, as he has really almost no shading and he doesn't look... mentally stable in that pose and in that setting. He looks unnecessarily like the first NES Mario, which is a bad thing.

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 12:13:17 am
Hmm, ok. At first I had a Middle Area, but it caused nothing but trouble, so I scrapped it.. I'll work on filling it back up though.

Hmm, did you see the tileset above your post? I lowered the saturation of the grass a bit.

Alright, I'll try to play around with the tree and add a few things to it.

Oh I know the character is bad. The thing is, I made the character long before I made the tiles, I just threw him in there to have something to look at. I'm working on a new character, here's what I have so far..

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:47:05 pm by brod »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:42:18 am
That character looks loads better  :y: Not sure, but he might actually need to be brighter in order for him to stand out.

No, I didn't see the grass, sorry.  :) Much better.

Suggestions for the tree: Branches, maybe some knots in the wood.

I see such a huge leap of difference in quality, I'm very impressed.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:43:49 am by Atnas »

Offline Caliber9

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:23:29 pm
You said before that you weren't sure what to add for details.  This happens to me a lot and I find the best way is to use reference pictures.  Real pictures or screen shots from video games.  Then you can see whats really in a forest, cave, etc.  I think most would agree that you should always work with references and I think it helps most in those little details that you don't really remember that are there.  Oh and its coming along really really well, the new character looks great.  In fact, I kind of like him with no arms at all, maybe you should keep him like that unless he needs arms in your game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:25:25 pm by Caliber9 »

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:22:19 pm
Thank you both. After about 15 mins, I think I made a tilable middle piece. Here it is.

New-Tileset

New-Mock up

What I noticed is, before the grass didn't fit with the tiles because it looked so de-saturated.. but now with so many more rocks, it looks like the rocks are too saturated.

I think I'm going to keep the area behind the background with that style.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:34:29 pm by brod »