AuthorTopic: Octagon in top-down perspective?  (Read 7325 times)

Offline JetSetRadioo

• View Profile

Octagon in top-down perspective?

Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 08:36:42 pm
How can I make a octagon in top down perspective? I know with a circle that the height is half of the width, I'm using one third of the width. But an octagon keeps looking off. Any tips?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Octagon in top-down perspective?

Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 04:56:57 am
Well, it depends on the exact projection angle you're using for your game. Often this angle changes to suit the asset or fit within tiles anyway, so in pixel art at least, it's not a hard science. the best way I can think of is to take a look at cyangmou's projection tutorial, find out which angle fits your game best, and then just project the octagon onto the surface, scaling it's height as necessary:

Offline JetSetRadioo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 28, 2021, 12:28:03 pm
Well I'm not always sure about the viewing angle tbh. I know my angle is the 1/3 circle i talked about that makes sense with the rest of my art. But when talking about rectangular objects, I don't really know. I just draw what makes sense optically? I mean, if you make a house where the front is 60px, u don't have a set formula for how big the roof is gonna be, right? You just make it as long as you think it looks good (and in harmony with the rest). 
Same with the boxes above the crates example, the left one is a box lying down, middle is a cube and the right one is a box standing up. I don't really see how perspective comes into play? I mean if you follow the 1:1 ratio, not all objects will be 1:1. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?  ???

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 06:50:16 pm
I recommend reading those tutorials from Cyangmou that Ryumaru mentioned, they explain how perspective comes into play quite well. I think if that stuff clicks for you, you'll have a much easier time figuring out how to draw octagons (any any other shape) in a way that fits with the rest of your game. Part 1, part 2, part 3. They're not that long a read.

A lot of it is down to what looks good, but understanding the perspective/projection you're using makes it a lot easier to arrive at a result that looks good without a lot of trial and error. While there might not be "set formulas", there are broad rules you can follow to figure out, for example, where the gable on a house roof should be placed to make the roof look gabled rather than like a lean-to, or to figure out the size and shape of the top of a barrel or crate so that those props look like they exist in the same space.

Same with the boxes above the crates example, the left one is a box lying down, middle is a cube and the right one is a box standing up.
This bit perplexes me. A cubic box is a cube no matter which side it's resting on, because all the sides are the same size. The top box is a box seen in isometric or 3/4 view, the bottom box (a square) is a box seen from directly above, or from the side (sidescroller view). If I encountered both of these in a 3/4 game, the square would look like a piece of cardboard or a flag or something, because it has no depth - if it had depth, we'd see it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:52:25 pm by eishiya »

Offline JetSetRadioo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 12:00:33 pm
Thanks I will check it out!