AuthorTopic: Feature 06 - Razor, leader of the Blades (Fallout fan-art)  (Read 192342 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: [wip] Razor, leader of the Blades (Fallout fan-art)

Reply #90 on: June 12, 2008, 06:49:06 am
Could the earing really hang like that?  i think from this perspective we would only see the side view of it.

i know its a nice feature and all but you've put so much thought into the rest of the piece, perhaps just look up a few refs...

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #91 on: June 12, 2008, 07:04:55 am
yep, but that's the only *dynamic* feature in the picture: it somehow reminds us that she's not a stone statue but a living human. plus its pretty important as a symbol.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #92 on: June 12, 2008, 10:17:07 am
edit pending. Hang on.

Tell me if you do not understand the reason for any of my alterations.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:50:54 pm by ptoing »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: June 12, 2008, 01:35:41 pm
hmm, I guess I get everything, ta-ta! heheh, I'm also going to keep that YUS tag on the wall.

thou shalt never belittle the power of SCIENCE!

just while I'm processing with the new thing, could you please post the right Amiga 4096 colors palette chart in here? I couldn't find any. anyone?

this is what came out after messing with Deluxe Paint set (just for kicks), pretty funny:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:51:07 pm by ptoing »
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #94 on: June 12, 2008, 05:29:46 pm
Do you use Promotion? In that case just go to Color>Modify Channel Bit Depth and set it to 4,4,4 unstretched.
Otherwise you can just make sure that your hexvalues are all either 00, 10, 20, 30, ...F0 or 00, 11, 22, 33, ...FF. The later would be stretched, so that white actually is white. I am not entirely sure about the unstretched bit. On a proper amiga monitor white looks pretty much white.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #95 on: June 13, 2008, 09:22:13 am
Do you use Promotion? In that case just go to Color>Modify Channel Bit Depth and set it to 4,4,4 unstretched.
Otherwise you can just make sure that your hexvalues are all either 00, 10, 20, 30, ...F0 or 00, 11, 22, 33, ...FF. The later would be stretched, so that white actually is white. I am not entirely sure about the unstretched bit. On a proper amiga monitor white looks pretty much white.
From a logical point of view, the way to go should be the "doubled bits" one for these two reasons:
a) probably, when the OCS/ECS chipsets were designed, the value F (= 15) was meant to indicate the full blown value for the channel, just like FF (255) today;
b) the AGA chipset (which has 24-bit capabilities), when set to 12-bit, automatically replicates the upper 4 bits into the lower 4 bits of each channel - basically, the Commodore engineers themselves gave us a definite hint ;)

And here's the resulting palette:

Edit: forgot to add a couple of words about the picture :P
Great job, man! A place in the feature chest would be deserved :y:
However, there are a few things that bug me.
The first is the neck and the shadow on it - I suggest you follow Ryumaru's and Helm's edits.
The second is the background, as I really cannot tell what's going on there: the shadow on the flag indicates that the woman is close to the wall, but then the broken wall at the left side seems a lot more distant, although, IMHO, the separation line between the two walls does not carry a strong sense of depth - BTW: are there two walls at all? ???
The last again involves the wall at the left: to me it looks too confused, noisy... even if it is distant, I wish it was a bit more readable.

saimo

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:51:22 pm by ptoing »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #96 on: June 13, 2008, 05:26:54 pm
you know, this is just a broken wall: some concrete, a burned wallpaper, punk tags and scratchings all put together into one texture. it simply *can't* be beautiful! :)

ptoing, ta for the advice: it makes the work a lot easier: yes, I'm using ProMotion, haven't known about it. saimo: that's what I've been searching for, great! fanx!

anyway, I gave up the idea of fitting the colors in the OCS palette. it really spoils the work at this point, I should have just thought about that earlier. I'm satisfied with the current one, though.

Helm, thanks again: that was a good edit: I've somehow trusted in *your* knowledge and was learning on it directly from the paintover. the great part of the neck pictures just isn't that detailed. what I also did is a little alteration to her right shoulder area (uneven before), nothing demanding really. thanks to sharprm for noticing.

here comes the ultimate (?) piece:

(320*256 * 8-bits, 32 colors)

oh, and in case somebody asks, not all edges of the flag patterns were 'aa-ed'. purposefully, to subtly signalize the flawed manufacture.

oh and um. . . I'd like to thank you *everyone* for your time, help and good critique! I'm totally sure without you I'd give up on it and end up not finishing the 4th or 5th step. you know, it's damn fine to have a place like that around, where you can truly learn things, try your patience and improve your skills. FOR REAL! I'm really glad to be a part of this community!

*gzzt!* okay, nuff ass-patting, heheh! see you then on Pixeljoint in a day or two!

PS: for those who were with me till the very (?) end of this, I have a gift in the form of a random chick picture! ;p for the sake of womanliness!

I'm not collecting men photos, though, so artificial kisses for our Pixelation women must be enough! :***

;p

see you around!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:52:00 pm by ptoing »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #97 on: June 13, 2008, 08:59:22 pm
I think the neck still needs work to make it look more cylindrical. The ear still looks a bit misshapen, and I don't see why the tattooed area would be any less reflective than the surrounding skin and it could also curve more around the cheek, probably even more than in this edit. I also think it looks odd that the outline of her hair is flat, while it's more wavy in front.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:52:19 pm by ptoing »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #98 on: June 13, 2008, 09:45:26 pm
sure thing! takk, takk, thanx!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:52:30 pm by ptoing »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #99 on: June 13, 2008, 11:05:27 pm
I am not sure the noaa in some parts of the flag works as intended. It just looks like sloppy work from your side.
Also the tattoo on the cheek needs better aa badly.

Otherwise, good stuff.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.