AuthorTopic: Feature 06 - Razor, leader of the Blades (Fallout fan-art)  (Read 192302 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Razor, leader of the Blades (Fallout fan-art)

Reply #70 on: June 06, 2008, 07:01:38 pm
enough of mannerism.

OT, but what has mannerism got to do with this?  if that was your goal, we'd have needed to take this in a VERY different direction >.<
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #71 on: June 06, 2008, 11:14:01 pm
np,

no, no, I didn't mean Mannerism (cap.), but *--gzzt!* artificial exaggerated or affected style adopted to impress others . . . or something.
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #72 on: June 07, 2008, 01:51:07 am
bombast?

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: June 07, 2008, 10:46:21 pm
JonathanOfDrain: forgot to say I'm really glad to hear your words, thanks, I also made a slight alteration in the shaved/hair line area:

the hair and the right side of the jacket (ours) ain't complete yet. now I'm slowly moving on with the background: although I want to keep that kinda-messy-sketchy-painting-like style, the flag as well as the cityscape will be FULLYRENDERED OFCOURSE, whatever it may mean. ;)

word up!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:46:58 pm by ptoing »
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: June 08, 2008, 11:30:03 pm
almost complete.

any critique/suggestions before I make the final touch?

two brand-new (and pretty cool!) Polish comic issues for the one who's able to read all the encrypted tag-fitti messages! (impossible!;p)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:47:10 pm by ptoing »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #75 on: June 08, 2008, 11:50:28 pm
Looks like this will turn out really awesome. ;D

I'm not sure how much is just unfinished, but I'll tell you what I see. I think the neck area looks flat, especially the collar bones. Stronger highlights like on the face would help. I think the buildings in the background need to be faded out more. I think it's the dark shadows that make them look like they're a part of the wall behind her. What is the flag supposed to be made of? I think the folds?, the transition between light and dark, need to be softer for it to look like cloth. Her ear looks a bit strange, too. Is she getting a highlight on her cheek? The green area is still skin, right?

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 12:41:13 am
Is her hair going to be very flat down like that? D:

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 02:33:44 am
Arachne : thanks! you know, there won't be much progress from this point. I think I've already achieved what I'd wanted to achieve and what came out is fairly advanced when I take my skill scale into consideration. now need to finish it and move on! that left side background (the 'cityscape') is meant to be something keeping with the original Fallout-poster-style: think of an old 'prewar-era' postcard, desaturated and bleak: that's it. oh, the flag is made of linen . . . which is quite hard and gets a bit paper-like when it's wet. I'll soften the folds a little, though, and definitely work some more on the neck. tomorrow.

Anything! : well such a technique may be aesthetically ill, but I've decided that some parts should be left untouched. like hair . . . as well as e.g. the right-bottom corner . . . I'd rather it be plain just as it is right now. I tell you, I'm already spending too much time on it and don't want to overdo things or screw something up. :)

edit
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:39:29 am by Skurwy »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 05:15:20 am
havent had the luxury to follow this thread, but considering the latest update, I would have to mention that the atmosphere you have in it is very red orange looking, and thus im confused why she would have blue shadows..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 09:49:26 am
Broken wall behind her on the left: the edges where it' broken, give it some 3d quality with the broken rocks, not just a contour, the wall seems paper thin like this. A deep crack on the wall also might help signify it as such because the too much graffiti right now seems like pixel scribbling (like hidden thanks on a demoscene pic, heh!) more than graffiti.

Neck needs defined muscles to the side of the trachea, at least a bit more if she's physically powerful and worked out.

Buildings: bite the bullet and look at Appleseed/Akira ruined building pictures (or real ruined buildings if you can find any) because your abstraction lacks SCIENCE as it is and they look too wobly, soft, and not 3d. If you're going to put it in a picture with lots of SCIENCE, be prepared to do the SCIENCE workout for them, no turning back now. This is the last 5% of work that is super-tiring, but do wrap it up with strength and polish honor.

I don't think the blue shadows are an issue, but do try a red-tinted shadow too to show us how it'd look!