AuthorTopic: Realtime-Graphics Arkanoid Raw Klone  (Read 5690 times)

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Realtime-Graphics Arkanoid Raw Klone

on: May 11, 2008, 01:04:42 pm
This is the last production of my studio: Arkanoid Raw Klone.
i'm not sure if its ok to post this here, but i want to get some c&c on the design.
note that the design is make at real-time code, no raster or tiles done, only code-generated graphics are used for doing the pics of the game. Any suggestion to do it more...how to say it...eyecandy? or retro?

new update.
The Balls and the BG of Stars are accelerated when there are a few bricks, and the paddle is like arkanoid's one, depends on what side you push the ball, it gets different directions.

MODIFIED:

I would like somebody to do a pair of levels using this Preset with this colors. The point is doing a level with that colors and i will include it on the final version with the title you give to it. Hope someone do it.

here is an level example

Level 2: Aquanoid's Disk Invasion
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:19:28 am by smiker »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Realtime-Graphics Arkanoid Raw Klone

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 05:08:10 pm
Wheres the point in generating tiles in "real-time" (i guess they are you still keep renderings of each tile in memory)?
1. It's harder to make looking good.
2. It's harder to change.
3. With increasing complexity it makes the code uglier.
4. There's no speed benefit.
And you didn't do anything you couldn't have done with a few tiles. (rendering the grafics would make sense if you had to make countless of tiles for the same result, which is not the case here, I fear)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:56:27 pm
I'm sorry to say this, but this looks like the work of an Amiga programmer who just found out about Copperbars.
It does look quite eyesore I have to say.

Rather than doing it all in code you should try to do some nice tiles which are more than just rainbow gradients.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline smiker

• View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:27:31 pm
the point on doing this is the extremely low size compared to tiles.
i mean there's no need to handle more than the code to compose the screen.

*ptoing i don't understand very well what do you say of amiga?

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:31:39 pm
the point on doing this is the extremely low size compared to tiles.
i mean there's no need to handle more than the code to compose the screen.

*ptoing i don't understand very well what do you say of amiga?

Well, does that really matter? If you have a pc that can't handle that kind of game, you're probably 90 years old and don't care anyway.
ANY pc will be able to handle a 2d game on that small a resolution with normal graphics. Unless the coding is so incredibly unneededly complicated that you'd actually have to try
to get it that complicated. But why would you do that?

Offline smiker

• View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:41:00 pm
i mean the low-size of the compiled executable!
obviously because i am doing coded pixels for not using stored data and make it untouchable, i explain?
my objective is to do such an arkanoid on 64kb to send it to a competition, actually does it right and it's 29kb.
ahrg, with low size i didn't mean low resolution....:S

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:24:31 pm
The Amiga has a chip called "Copper" which handled the rasters, so it was really easy to make rasterline effects such as gradients and stuff (like you are doing here) and many coders did this "because they could" and not because it looked good (tho they probably could not really tell).

I made a quick edit of what I think could deffo be made procedurally as well and not look as eyesore.

hope this helps.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:10:19 am
my objective is to do such an arkanoid on 64kb to send it to a competition, actually does it right and it's 29kb.
Saving 6 of those tiles in one gif (which is a shitty way of compression for this case and suffers from the use of colors, as there are 84 colors in the palette) results in a 760byte sized gif. So even if I understood you right and your code is 29Kb at the moment, which seems a bit big for such a simple game, It should be no problem to remove the gradient functions, add grafics for everything and still be below 32kb.
I guess even on pouet.net this would receive comments as "1990 called, they want their colors back."

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:43:38 am
TIGs has a competition on procedural game content at the moment so there are more people that are interested in this kind of thing.
But don't be surprised in a board called Pixelation [way of the pixel] thinks what you're doing is loony.

I think your screens look cool, perhaps because I'm of the Amiga generation, but with all the colors and what not it still looks empty.
I'd try and use the colorful gradients and throw in something that contrasts well with that. I don't know.... perhaps some stones and rocks or organic stuff.
You need a nice heads-up display with score and lives etc and a frame and some textures in the background like in ptoing's edit.
The best you can do is prove these guys wrong, if you fail no one will scold you for trying.

Offline smiker

• View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:21:01 am
ptoing do you think it would look better if done in flat tiles¿?