AuthorTopic: Boxman needs your help  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Cake Sama

• View Profile

Boxman needs your help

on: May 14, 2008, 11:13:39 pm
Hey guys, thought id give pixel art a try  :P
as always i made Boxman

any and all help appreciated  ;D

...UPDATE...

i hope this is a bit better, lol im also liking it more now, the mouth is still a problem and still wanna add detail to the box  :crazy:

anyways thanx
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:49:09 am by Cake Sama »

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: Boxman needs your help

Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:46:44 pm
put the eyes inside the box...maybe a monster being covered by a box instead of saying that the box is a living creature.
what's the hole in the side for?  or is it an indent...because it leads to a darker brown, not a black.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 04:53:24 am
First off, welcome to pixelation!  Second...prepare for blunt feedback!!

I'm not really sure how to even crit this.  The eyes look painted on, and they look like they're looking upward, don't know why they would be though.  The mouth looks off center.  I don't have any idea what those indents are about either.  Why is the specular along the front edge just as bright as the specular along the top edges?  Why is one eye AA'd while the other is left jagged?  Why does the thing have a big black outline around every form?  Why are the mid and mid-dark browns so close together?

Finally, why are you drawing, um, Boxman?  I mean I'm all for sketches and practice and learning new things, definitely, but something like Boxman here doesn't necessarily give us a lot to go on as far as advice.  It kinda looks like you started following an isometric tutorial and got bored halfway through.  If you really wanna help Boxman, take Joseph's advice to heart - focus on the 'man' more than the 'box' and start building some interesting shapes and silhouettes!

Offline mz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:22:39 pm
i doubt this would help much but here's my kind of edit

and an ugly and spastic animation to illustrate my guess on that indent's purporse
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:29:25 am by mz »

Offline Cake Sama

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 12:00:35 am
ty guys, guess is still have alot to learn....

Usally when im doing anything new i always start off with my boxman, coz its easy :P

but yea will do another work and get it on asap  :-[
and some updates ofc  ;D

btw...mz was the closest :P
the Indent was meant to be a hole for an arm to come out