AuthorTopic: WIP. Please help me finish guys  (Read 5171 times)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

WIP. Please help me finish guys

on: May 10, 2008, 11:53:24 pm
Hey guys this is probably my 5th attempt at pixelart, i'm slowly getting the gist of it.  I wondered if you guys can help me out.

Guidance for this young padawan please  :)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: WIP. Please help me finish guys

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:00:16 am
Most important thing I see: You're not being consisten. On side of the hat has no outline when everything else does, some parts have anti-aliasing, some don't, and then the skin has a lot more contrast then the clothing.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:03:33 am
Yea i'm aware of that, that's why it's a WIP, i would like helping fixing those problems you adressed, more specific instruction.  I'm quite aware of what i AAd and whatever etc.

Thanx for the EXTRA speedy reply :)

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:20:50 am
This is an older sloppy one i started for a challenge, but was far from finished, i don't mind changing the palette completely on this one among other things.  It needs a LOT of work but i like the theme

Thanks in advance

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 12:35:48 am
please don't start new topics all over the place. There is no need to have 2 topics running in pixelart at once. So I merged them. Cheers.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 01:56:58 am
Thanks ptoing :) much appreciated

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 03:23:31 am
ARGHHHH NO I LOST MY REPLY THAT WAS LIKE A PAGE LONG :'(  :ouch:

sigh :( Mine's on the right. Edit on face and hat only.
I'm grumpy now so sorry if I sound mean.

First off, alot of it comes down to personal-preference. Do you want outlines? Do you want anti-aliasing? It's up to you! Just try to be consistent :).
You should recycle colors when you can. You have almost all the colors you need for smooth, high-contrast shading of the hat in the skin-tones and outline(counting AA). My edit only has two new colors in it, one of which is on the face anyway.
Your guy also needs hair, otherwise he doesn't look fully human. Not to imply that old people, the diseased, or skinheads are inhuman (Well, skinheads might be.) Even one sideburn is massive improvement.
The lighter skin tones usually look best as saturated and light oranges. Also, you shouldn't shade a large plane with 50/50 dither. Unless you're working with extreme color restrictions, it's better to use a new tone.
Your forms are good for the most part, but the face, not so much. The 45 degree straight line on his face really just detracts from it. Better to make it curved and imply form, even if the form doesn't make too much sense :P.

I can't remember the rest.
With much love,
  Sherman Gill  ;D:yell::'(

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:40:34 am
It sucks that you lost a page long post Sherman  :( but thanks for giving advice regardless.

Well i initially wanted outlines, i'm not sure, do you think it'll look better with or without?

My main preference i really have is that i want it all to be in low saturation (pastel like) but i just can't choose a good colour for black skin in pastel-like piece.
I wanted it to have this feel
Trem's work (i'm a fan) http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/11862.htm

The edit you made looks really good. Should i just redo the coat and everything with the depth and contrast you had? cuz i'm having insane problems making depth out but with a pastel feel to it. I also am ignorant as to what colour to use :( i SUCK at colour selection really.

Also, i did intially want him bald cuz (i'm bald) lol, but the sideburns do look better. Your edit makes me rethink many aspects of the pic. By the way I didn't get that bit about the angle thing.  You mean the way in which he posed tilted like that?I thought it made him look gangster and unusual.

THANKS SO SO SO MUCH FOR THE REPLY and the time you took to edit as well.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 07:15:36 pm
Ah, no, with the angle thing I'm just talking about how the shading on his face goes across his face in a perfectly straight line.
For the colors, well, if you want it to be similar in style to Trem's piece, what makes it look good the way it is?
One thing to note is that while it's on the brighter side of things there's still quite a bit of contrast (Particularly on the focal points of the image: The guy's face and the dead robot), and on the skin, the lighter the colors are the closer to the background they are, so most of the color identity lies in the midtones and shadows. See below:

The lightest skin tone there actually isn't changed, that's the same color that's used in the original. So, while it's actually a very pale yellow, the saturated midtones kind of bleed onto it.
The outlines on Tremulant's piece are important to the style though, because without that as a... anti-buffer (I need a new term for that :() between the skin and background, things wouldn't be like... Bam. Right now the picture reads right when you see it, but without the outlines, it still works, but the picture looks foggier:

Anyway, those are the main things I think you should keep in mind. :P

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 01:16:38 am
awesome, will get back to you with an edit midweek or so.  Feel free to take a gander of the second pic if you've got the time.  Thanks again man :) you're the only one who replied hehe