AuthorTopic: A few questions  (Read 6537 times)

Offline Majoris

• ♥♥♥ <<<lol These are hearts XD
    • View Profile

A few questions

on: May 10, 2008, 09:42:37 pm
Greetings. I just have a few newbie question about Pixel Art-ing in general, and I've come here to ask them! Mostly because this is one of the only forums for Pixel Art out there [maybe?], and because people like Helm and ptoing reside here (even though they scare me :blind:)
Here they are:
-Does using translucent layers to make, say a window or water count as "dirty tooling"?
-Is resizing a reference photo (or another form of visual that isn't a "pixel") and tracing a certain element [as if this were something I drew/scanned]...bad? What if you took this photo yourself? (I haven't done that, [mostly because I've pixeled like...one thing], but I draw my own stuff, just asking)
-What program is used for like...changing the colors of the pixel? By that I mean, I see all these posts where ptoing [and others] take a decently big piece of pixel art, and post a "color edit"...as seen 3 posts down here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6280.0...  I know there's a post that lists a bunch of software, but I don't really know what's what there

There were alot more, I've just forgotten for now. Thanks for reading this, and/or answering.  ;D 

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: A few questions

Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:51:48 pm
Hi, and welcome on board. I'll try to answer your questions :

-Does using translucent layers to make, say a window or water count as "dirty tooling" ?
It depends on what you call translucent (=reduced opacity ? = blend mode a la photoshop ?) and on the person who answers.
As far as I am concerned, I consider that putting a layer with a reduced opacity to simulate water or glass is acceptable, but it wont give as good results as manual work.

-Is resizing a reference photo (or another form of visual that isn't a "pixel") and tracing a certain element [as if this were something I drew/scanned]...bad? What if you took this photo yourself? (I haven't done that, [mostly because I've pixeled like...one thing], but I draw my own stuff, just asking)
This is bad because it doesnt train you. You may be happy with the outcome but this wont make you a better artist, no matter how much you do it.
Putting the photo next to your canvas and "copying" it is a better attitude.

-What program is used for like...changing the colors of the pixel?
Most elaborate programs (Promotion, Graphicsgale, Photoshop, Pixen, Paintshop pro...) feature an intelligent paint bucket tool or a good palette manager which let you replace a color in the whole image in one click.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:55:47 pm
-Does using translucent layers to make, say a window or water count as "dirty tooling"?
Yes.

The drawing and scanning thing is fine. It's your lines. Many people use a tablet which is nearly the same principal.
However, don't trace photo's. That's to me atleast, considered dirty. And another thing with that is that it learns you much less then only taking it as a reference.
Taking a picture for reference is fine, just don't trace it. In fact, pictures can help you achieve a certain realism because it can help you show how highlights and shadows appear etcetera.

-What program is used for like...changing the colors of the pixel? By that I mean, I see all these posts where ptoing [and others] take a decently big piece of pixel art, and post a "color edit"...as seen 3 posts down here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6280.0...  I know there's a post that lists a bunch of software, but I don't really know what's what there
As far as I and alot of fellow pixel artists are conscerned, Cosmigo ProMotion is the way to go. Pick it up at www.cosmigo.com. (I think the cheapest version is 30 bucks, and there is a free 30 day trial.
You could also check out Graphics Gale.

EDIT: Damn ya Fil ye beat me to it!  !yus!
I guess it's interesting to see how people think about these isues though. Get some more point of views.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:57:31 pm by Opacus »

Offline Majoris

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:25:43 pm
Thank you both...alot!  :D

My responses in order:
-I did mean lower the opacity btw.
-K, thanks for teh feedback, that's what I thought as well.
-Okay, that's awesome, I have photoshop, but Ima try out that program as well

EDIT: So do y'all use promotion for everything you, pixel wise??? Is there anyone else who prefers something else? If so what?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 10:37:39 pm by Majoris »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:53:10 pm
fil and opacus covered pretty much all bases.

No need to be scared of Helm or me btw :)

As far as the transparency overlay goes, all depends. If you make it for a commercial game and are in a tight deadline, fair does. Otherwise doing it by hand gives more control, which pixelart is all about.

Many people, including me, use ProMotion. Others use Graphicsgale and some even use MSPaint (which I would not endorse as it's a pain in the ass)
There are some other pixeltools around, they should be all in the Tools, Resources and Linkage Thread

Have a nice stay.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:55:37 pm
I don't think using a low opaque layer for glass and such is 'dirty'... but you may find yourself with a lot of unnecessary colors added that way.
If you apply the whole 'you control every pixel' 'law' in pixel art it may seem like you're breaking the law, though. I would consider this along the same line as taking an image and flipping it to finish the other half. It makes things easier... but it isn't in the best interest of the piece of art.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 11:09:35 pm
In my opinion, applying a low opaque layer doesnt break the "you control everything" rule because the very same effect could be achieved by doing the hex calculations. I dont know about you guys, but when I need to find an AA color, I pick the one which is precisely 50% between the two shades I want to AA. Does that make me a dirty pixel artist ?  :P

Also about softwares, I personnaly use Photoshop because I was used to it before starting Pixel-Art. It has all the features you need to perform Pixel Art but if you dont know yet how to use it, it isnt worth learning (you have to tweak several options and such to make pixel art with it).

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 11:12:52 pm
In my opinion, applying a low opaque layer doesnt break the "you control everything" rule because the very same effect could be achieved by doing the hex calculations. I dont know about you guys, but when I need to find an AA color, I pick the one which is precisely 50% between the two shades I want to AA. Does that make me a dirty pixel artist ?  :P

Also about softwares, I personnaly use Photoshop because I was used to it before starting Pixel-Art. It has all the features you need to perform Pixel Art but if you dont know yet how to use it, it isnt worth learning (you have to tweak several options and such to make pixel art with it).

And another problem about PS is it's price. I mean. It costs 10 times more then ProMotion? Or even more?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 11:42:55 pm
In my opinion, applying a low opaque layer doesnt break the "you control everything" rule because the very same effect could be achieved by doing the hex calculations. I dont know about you guys, but when I need to find an AA color, I pick the one which is precisely 50% between the two shades I want to AA. Does that make me a dirty pixel artist ?  Tongue

No, but it makes you waste a shade if all it has going for it is that it is a perfect buffer. If you eyeballed it, you could give it its own character, its own little hue tint that would make it a usable color in other places besides 'between those two colors'.

Offline Majoris

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 11:56:35 pm
Kay, thanks ptoing and Dusty.

Yeah, I'm going to try out teh free version of ProMotion and GraphicsGale, and then make my choice. I really don't like photoshop anyway T_T
About the opacity thing, would this: http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/17198.htm# be an example of translucent overlay?
And would this: http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/13016.htm be an example of a pixeled by hand translucent-ness? (actually that is kinda obvious... as well >_>)

I see what you mean by more control over colors and what not...

@ptoing, I'm not scared of you, so much as I am scared of making you angry. I.E. That guy who got pinned on the "Pixel Art" section for ripping. Actually that was mostly Helm O_o And yeah, I know that was a kind of [okay actually a REALLY] obvious "DON'T EVER DO THIS" kind of thing. I like your avatar a lot btw. Helms scares me.