AuthorTopic: Walking Animation- Help  (Read 4776 times)

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Walking Animation- Help

on: May 09, 2008, 09:12:04 pm

Please C+C

:D thanks in advance.

Offline Majoris

• ♥♥♥ <<<lol These are hearts XD
    • View Profile

Re: Walking Animation- Help

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:55:28 pm
I'm not super experienced (at all) in animations (let alone pixeling), but I can see here that the feet shouldn't be going out at a 45degree angle...I think it would look better if they were to come forward, and not to the side. Also the arms aren't looking quite right...

Is this a human ???

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:51:04 pm
A few questions before C&C:

1 Is this your first time pixeling? if not, how long have you been pixeling?

2 What is this for? a game? for fun? for practice?

3 What software are you currently using? it does make a difference.

4 What is he/she?
Its usually a good idea to put these things into the first post, so people know what to say.

now, on to C&C!
Pillow shading. :\ (If you don't know what that is, its where there is no direct light source, giving it a lack of depth.
i would avoid this, it looks boring when used.)

There is not nearly enough frames to make it look like he is walking. it looks like he's writhing right now. there isn't much you can do with a RPG sprite, thats why i tend to avoid those.

I would start with a solid standing animation before i move on to walking.
also, you have to many colors and not enough contrast.  :)

if it supposed to be a human, it looks (no offense) nothing like one.
Whats with the eyes? they look... not right. i dont know.
heres an edit:

im lazy today, its quick and sloppy. sorry... but i knocked it down to 5 colors! :D (My palette is on the bottom. the fifth shade is white. i didn't touch the lines!)

but besides the lack of contrast, the colors are great. i always have trouble picking skin tones..  :mean:

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 02:07:06 pm
Welcome to Pixelation Joe123.

Thats a nice pallete. You should give us more information so we can better help you. For example, are there any games that you are trying to emulate? That way, we could tell what type of perspective you are using.

Everyone wants to draw a naked rpg sprite (so they can add the clothes on later). The problem with that is we get 'flexing muscle man-babies' that lack character. Draw them with clothes. After you get a few well done, work on the naked base.

Here is an edit:

Notice I changed the perspective.

Coran - reducing colors in itself is not a good thing, the picture needs to look better because of it. Dithering on a small sprite is not a good idea. Having a light source at an angle might not be a good idea since it reduces the effectiveness of flipping the side view rpg sprites. Don't throw "rules" like 'don't pillow shade' around unless you are prepared to demonstrate how it will improve the piece. Does it lack depth? Does your edit helping with depth or does it just look like mud? I could write a bot that said 'needs more contrast', 'hmm..try hue shifting' but it doesn't really help. It would be better if you showed a good edit than throw a catch phrase around - 'dont antialiase 45 degree lines'. Are you sure there "isn't much you can do with a RPG sprite"? Study rpg sprites from games before you declare a genre undo-able.

If anyone has a problem with what I just said take it to the off-topic thread or pm please.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline joe123

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:22:12 am
Welcome to Pixelation Joe123.

Thats a nice pallete. You should give us more information so we can better help you. For example, are there any games that you are trying to emulate? That way, we could tell what type of perspective you are using.

Everyone wants to draw a naked rpg sprite (so they can add the clothes on later). The problem with that is we get 'flexing muscle man-babies' that lack character. Draw them with clothes. After you get a few well done, work on the naked base.

Here is an edit:

Notice I changed the perspective.

How would i change the perspective, and you're saying what game i'm trying to do. I actually have none.. but really i want to create a walkling animation in 2 frames. With that picture you did, did you change the size..

Thanks btw, it really helped me :D

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:53:53 pm
What is the reason for wanting to create a walk cycle with only 2 frames?
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 07:28:41 pm

Perhaps he takes after Tex Avery's style.  ;)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:19 pm

Perhaps he takes after Tex Avery's style.  ;)

What?  Aside from not making any sense it's not a very helpful comment anyways.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 12:46:25 am
Learn a little about Tex Avery and you will see what I mean.  LOL just cause you don't know what it means doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. HAH :y:

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 09:26:16 am
Mike - AdamAtomic did post a link to a Warner Brothers cartoon - suggesting he knows about Tex Avery. Maybe you should explain your point in detail. Even though Tex Avery cartoons may use less frame than Disney, did they ever have a 2 frame walk cycle? "Perhaps he takes after South Park" might make more sense.

joe123 - even though a 2 frame walk cycle might seem like half the work of a four frame work cycle, the 4 frame walk cycle will look better. For comparison:

Look at the sprites for games like Zelda and use them as a guide.   
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi