AuthorTopic: Tiles  (Read 19216 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Tiles

Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 02:46:05 pm
very nice pixels for the extra vines and waterfall, though i have a doubt on how water should "bounce" on the rock.
the shading of rocks as we go further away from the "grass line" suggested me that i'm seeing floating rocks that is large at its top and narrow at the bottom -- which wasn't disturbing me earlier given the SF look of your protagonist (after all, Tyrian shooter is full of floating rocks ;)

But the waterfall suggests something completely different: if the rocks were getting narrower, it could no longer affect water that falls from the "top edges".

hope it's clear enough, i cannot afford illustrating (@work).

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 04:34:48 pm
neic updaet.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the overly vegetative rocks, personally. It'd make sense if they were some sort of drawn-out transition between stages (viva la jungle level!) but other than that it looks like a lot of relatively unsourced vegetation living in a relatively hostile environment. Even with the pretty waterfall Cheesy

Also, I'm not sure where the character would actually walk on, now.

And finally, no matter what I say it's pixel-delicious. Kickass, dude.

I was thinking the waterfall would be the cause of the over vegitation, no?
That was my idea anyway. It could also be usefull for deeper, or less deep in the jungle. Plus, the normal tiles could also just be used as normal rock tiles.
Currently the char would only be able to walk on the ground. The tree is only for decoration. Maybe I will later add more difference with a change of contrast.
And thanks man ;) I'm not sure what you mean by the transitions thing by the way?

This is some really nice stuff!

My only real criticism would be that the tree in the first image looks a bit too smooth compared to the rest of the image and that the branches on the right side stick out a bit weirdly. I think that they should come out further back. It could also use a few more leaves.

Thanks dude!
Hehe, yeah, I think I made the tree to smooth compared to the rest. I'll have to see if there's a good way of fixing it without making the tree look crap D:
Yeah I guess you got a point with the branch. I'll give it a fix soon.
And more leaves will certainly come :)

I also think the tree needs to Interact more with the rocks.  Maybe have alternate Tiles where Roots are exposed out of the rocks.

Someone asked me the same question earlier in the topic.
And yes, soon I will make the tree interact with the rocks more.

Quick edit regarding the waterfall:
[image]

I think there isn't enough vegetation with the waterfall compared to the grass and rocks. Maybe some extra vines or something could help. I dont know maybe not, It just seems like the waterfall isn't part of the ground near the top mostly.

I hope the new version looks better. I'll have to add some more rocks sticking out too though :)

I'm really sleepy, so I'll have to get you some CnC to go with the edit tomorrow. This was meant to be a demonstration of contrast and lighting and what it can do for you. It was also meant to be something fun to do before I go to sleep, which it was. These are really fun tiles and I can tell you've come a long way since you've been here. For a second I was almost intimidated by the thought of editing them.

P.S.
I edited the mushroom and plant area...XD

I'm pretty sleepy too, haha.
Thanks for the edit dude. And the thought that you, of all people, nearly felt intimidated definatly gave me some extra ego points  :D
But right, I hope I took care of most of the contrast issues in the new version.

very nice pixels for the extra vines and waterfall, though i have a doubt on how water should "bounce" on the rock.
the shading of rocks as we go further away from the "grass line" suggested me that i'm seeing floating rocks that is large at its top and narrow at the bottom -- which wasn't disturbing me earlier given the SF look of your protagonist (after all, Tyrian shooter is full of floating rocks Wink

But the waterfall suggests something completely different: if the rocks were getting narrower, it could no longer affect water that falls from the "top edges".

hope it's clear enough, i cannot afford illustrating (@work).

Yeah, I like, haven't really decided yet wether I wanna keep the whole floating rock idea.
Ah Tyrian. Dude. Memories, memories. That was one of the first video games I ever played. I remember always playing it over at a friends house because we had a crappy computer.
(A computer that can't handle Tyrian, haha, hilarious! I remember when we had a pc with 256kb RAM xD)

They aren't really getting narrower down the bottom. Well, they are, but only at the far bottom. But you do have a point now that I look at it.
It looks wrong somehow.

And now, without further adue:

And a early stage boss concept:

When I have an idea I quickly have to draw it otherwise it skips from my mind, hehe.

Thanks for all the crits & comments! You guys are awesome!

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 05:08:55 pm
Maybe something more dynamic for a tree? Perhaps, less dynamic than that to keep it in style you maintain - just an idea.=)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 05:12:10 pm
Maybe something more dynamic for a tree? Perhaps, less dynamic than that to keep it in style you maintain - just an idea.=)

Shit dude! That is completely bad ass.
I'll definatly have to give something like that a go.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 06:52:16 am
(picked both in an editor to see how you got from 'before' to 'after' ... well, you just edited the whole thing. much to be learned here  :o )
just one thing that feels odd with your edit, Fool, is the thinner sub-roots on the right. That seems just too far from the ground to appear in my knowledge of trees.

But well, that's completely smashing me, so i guess i should better shut up and envy quietly  :P

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 03:55:29 pm
Made the tree wilder. Succes or no succes?
Also started filling in the leaves.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 06:20:19 pm
Succes ;D
I dont know about thoose two brances tho,they look kinda odd to me next to each other like that,I would move one of them a little bit higer up.
Other than that :y: :y: :y:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:19:14 pm by Reo »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:50 am
Foliage might have some volume - a bit messy edit with twisted greens, but just making a point. Somewhat out of style as well.=)

I think you need tweak that dark shade on a grass so it will blend with a stones a little more.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 01:52:19 pm
Man oh man, thanks once again for taking the time to make an edit! It seems you put love intro every single thing you create. I love it.
Here's an update:

Better?

Reo: Thanks man. I don't know what exactly you mean with the branches, though?

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 04:49:59 pm
That right hand side with the water is tops. :D I think the left platform could definately benefit with some similar details.

You might want to look at how Fool uses the midtone and shadows to give the foliage depth. Really good technique.