AuthorTopic: Tiles  (Read 19335 times)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Re: Tiles

Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 07:40:47 pm

I think the tree would benefit from some interaction with the rocks. At the moment that front root seems to be launching toward the viewer, which would put it in front of the rocks, but instead it just kinda disappears. I realise that in order to fix that you'd have to make more tiles, buuut I think it'd be worth it.

And I prefer the scaly (first, top, "old" )tree, mostly because the smoother one doesn't flow into itself and seems like separate objects.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 08:27:48 pm
Ew those straight edged highlights on those rocks ruin it in my opinion. The softness of the original palette (or w/e) was much better i think.
Really nice piece tho, keep it up.  ;)

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 09:37:50 pm
i think the initial color limitation was right, less colors now...more colors later....

edit: i was talking about the tree. i think it was right with the original palette, but don't take me serious.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:51:31 pm by smiker »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 09:47:17 pm
Ew those straight edged highlights on those rocks ruin it in my opinion. The softness of the original palette (or w/e) was much better i think.
Really nice piece tho, keep it up.  ;)

Yeah it might be a little bit more appealing to the eyes, but this will help seperate the foreground from background later on.
Atleast I hope :)

And Smiker: I don't really understand what you mean. The initial colour limitation? Less colours now more colours later? Eh?

Anyway: Smoothness for the tree. I think I'm gonna go with the new tree. It just fits better, has more depth, and looks more interesting:

There will by the way be interaction of the tree with the rocks, however, I'm gonna wait with that till I can completely call the rock tile finished.
Otherwise it will be alot of unneeded bitching if I change the rocks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:55:28 pm by Opacus »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 04:07:51 pm
Updaet:
Here is an edit of the stone tile with far more vegitation and a small waterfall.
Man I love waterfalls.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 04:45:49 pm
neic updaet.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the overly vegetative rocks, personally. It'd make sense if they were some sort of drawn-out transition between stages (viva la jungle level!) but other than that it looks like a lot of relatively unsourced vegetation living in a relatively hostile environment. Even with the pretty waterfall :D

Also, I'm not sure where the character would actually walk on, now.

And finally, no matter what I say it's pixel-delicious. Kickass, dude.

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 04:49:15 pm
This is some really nice stuff!

My only real criticism would be that the tree in the first image looks a bit too smooth compared to the rest of the image and that the branches on the right side stick out a bit weirdly. I think that they should come out further back. It could also use a few more leaves.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 12:12:58 am
I also think the tree needs to Interact more with the rocks.  Maybe have alternate Tiles where Roots are exposed out of the rocks. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 01:00:04 am
Quick edit regarding the waterfall:

I think there isn't enough vegetation with the waterfall compared to the grass and rocks. Maybe some extra vines or something could help. I dont know maybe not, It just seems like the waterfall isn't part of the ground near the top mostly.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 05:29:58 am

I'm really sleepy, so I'll have to get you some CnC to go with the edit tomorrow. This was meant to be a demonstration of contrast and lighting and what it can do for you. It was also meant to be something fun to do before I go to sleep, which it was. These are really fun tiles and I can tell you've come a long way since you've been here. For a second I was almost intimidated by the thought of editing them.

P.S.
I edited the mushroom and plant area...XD
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:35:47 am by Doppleganger »