AuthorTopic: Hixel it!  (Read 78082 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Hixel it!

on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:52 pm
I had the idea for this in late 2005, but was too crap back then to do something nice enough.
Attempted again yesterday and this came out.

The idea is to use "hexagonal pixels"

Here be the template:

Use this and a maximum of 16 colours (as the res is quite low actually it should be more than enough)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:25:49 am by Kiana »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Hixel it!

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:55 pm
Cool!
Any easy way to fill large areas? :-\
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:06:59 pm
I used the template as a frame/layer below the actual one where I pixelled, using a hixel shaped brush. That worked rather well in promotion. Dunno about other progs. Be creative, whip those grey cells!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:54:32 pm
This is a really cool idea. i made a uber quick doodle:

ill make a real one later today.
cant wait to see some results!

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:02:33 pm
lol I think theres still such a thing as pillow shading with this coran  :P

awesome idea I must try it.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:57:16 am

I really like this idea!

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:52:59 am
It was fun to made it :

Offline chriskot

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:47:04 am

Seems more diagonal than hexagonal to me, but I guess "Dixel" doesn't exactly have the same ring to it.

Anyway, I'll probably give this a shot tomorrow. Looks like a lot of fun.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 04:23:28 am
lol, nevermind this entire thing.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:25:23 pm by Joseph »

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:20:05 am
wow! this is a hella idea, ptoing! AFAIR there actually were some triangle pixel attempts already made as well as other different/weird/crazy approaches to the pixel medium already done (including the last seen ‘textured pixels’ by Superbrothers (which ain’t pixels tho, in the sense we understand pixel art)), but that’s something like I’ve never seen before. . . and must tell you it works pretty cool, your Hixelton is lovable! thumb up for creativity!

that it seems pretty challenging may put off some, as filling the gird is going to be a real pain in the ass. . . I wonder whether I’d be able to force the ‘lock gird’ tool to work as I’d want it to. anyway, I’ll deffo try my hand at it!

PS: BTW, this thing reminds me of my now departed C64 Hi-RES pixel-ANSI concept, where you simulate text mode characters by using 4*8 blocks on a 80*25 matrix having virtually no restrictions whatsoever. haven't come up with anything worth releasing yet, tho.

why so, Joseph? you can just paint a brush (conventional way), save it in the brush container, then use left mouse button to paint with any color you want. make sure the Brush/Make single Color option is turned off.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:25:01 am by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline L___E___T

• -______'''''''_____TRO - P_¬
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 11:31:27 am
I'm really excited about this - I haven't finished my ISO grid tile yet so I'll do that first.  Gonna start this today though.
Had some trouble making the right brush in Photoshop, but got there in the end.
I take it it's 16 colours plus black?  And that we don't have to use Arne's 16 colour pallette, though I like that idea quite alot so I may do anyway.

Fook, I've just realised what's so excitingly familiar about this!!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Merw-VWEh78/RaIaZQzw-7I/AAAAAAAAAEU/Je9MZ-Qi_ik/s320/supermariobrothers.jpg

well, sorta..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:45:33 am by L___E___T »
_¬-¬-¬-¬¬_`--_¬--__¬_-_¬_-____/

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:49:32 am
I'm about halfway done with one of these, and I think it's very interesting when you try to create something vertical, but when using diagonals (like most of the entries in this thread) it is not really any different to pixelling normally.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 12:05:29 pm
Exactly. Try to have some vertical quality in there otherwise it looks like rotated pixel art, really. I started a hixel attempt ages ago but I can't even find it anymore. Now that I have a bit more free time, perhaps I'll do a new one.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 12:19:08 pm
What a great idea! It works especially well with the 45degree stylized angles i feel, like on Ptoing's piece. I guess i should try it out sometime.  :y:

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 12:28:58 pm
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7817/hixelad0.png

Plan to add an explosion to the top left, and a smoke trail extending from it down towards the mid-bottom area.
This is actually re-using an old sprite of mine; so it feels kind-of like cheating, but hopefully by the time I'm done there will be enough original content to justify it.

edit: Small update.Probably going to ditch the cloud idea.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:24:59 pm by Faceless »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 12:55:58 pm
in photoshop, paste the grid and put it to about 10% opacity, it should be barely visible.  then, in another layer, use a fill can set to "use all layers, contiguous" and click click click.  it's a drop at a time but it's a non-destructive way to preserve the working grid.  (edit - as opposed to all of those other destructive ways of preserving :P)

pure hixels - my grid (the difference of hues makes it easier for me i think, gray they run together sometimes)
grid overlay with working doodle beneath.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:08:12 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 12:56:32 pm
thought of it as impossible. . .

now, I'm gonna make something cool out of it!

there really should be layers implemented in ProMotion!
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 03:08:51 pm
You can missuse the onionskinning as layers. Make one layer with the template and put the other one on top, setting one colour to transparent, or you could also set the top layer to something like 50% opacity, so you could check quite fast if you are on grid.

Also when using my template, if you have a hixelshaped brush and set the lockgrid to 2,2 with 1,3 alignment you are pretty much halfway there :)

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:28 pm
I think I remember hearing from a tester that there was gonna be an update with layers added sometime. I really hope so. :)

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 08:13:41 am
For all you newbs, you can also do this quicly in paint... make 1 hixel, select it, then move it while you hold control. This basicly works as a custom brush

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 01:11:59 pm
I think I remember hearing from a tester that there was gonna be an update with layers added sometime. I really hope so. :)
yep, I think I've heard something about that, too.

For all you newbs, you can also do this quicly in paint... make 1 hixel, select it, then move it while you hold control. This basicly works as a custom brush
nah. . . too much phucking with that IMHO, ProMotion is easy to get a handle on enough.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:27:27 pm by Skurwy »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 05:51:36 pm
in photoshop, paste the grid and put it to about 10% opacity, it should be barely visible.  then, in another layer, use a fill can set to "use all layers, contiguous" and click click click.  it's a drop at a time but it's a non-destructive way to preserve the working grid.  (edit - as opposed to all of those other destructive ways of preserving :P)

pure hixels - my grid (the difference of hues makes it easier for me i think, gray they run together sometimes)
grid overlay with working doodle beneath.

this, i think, is the best method. tried it and i liked the fact that i could recolor one hixel in a group of same-color hixels. its hard to dither (hither) with these. :/

EDIT:
im working on Captain Falcon, heres my ref:

im working with this under my hixels. would that be considered illegal?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 06:00:15 pm by coran »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 06:14:59 pm
As it is not your own art it is a bit cheap. If anything do not put it underneath, but next to your hixelpiece.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 12:35:45 am
okay, thats what i thought. ill redo it then.  :D

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 12:49:34 pm
 :P Illegal.

10 years for tracing, life for recolouring and or minor edits.

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 02:11:48 am
I had this idea so long ago but never even thought about low res. I thought it was something that wouldn't happen until I tipped my monitor.

Offline Jonas

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 01:55:57 pm

This is a portrait of a hixel artist.

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 11:22:23 pm
Hmm, premature thread death?

My neck hurts now.
ano hito wa jiku ga buretanai
suteki

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 01:32:56 pm
Hi all... first post in this forum... I was too much attracted by this challenge ;)
here is my little work.
Any C+C before submitting it?

I've clearly lost my mind.
"It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye". - mom

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:42 pm
Hi, this is my first post here and my first pixel thingy, I'm more of a vector guy.

I'm not asking for C+C I think I know why it sucks, by the way it's supposed to be a toast.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 04:22:18 pm
first of all, well, welcome to Pixelation, folks! :)

@Jonas: not bad, tho I'd gladly see something more; if you covered the whole canvas using that style, we'd certainly have some cutting-edge stuff here!

@megane: I think people approach the concept eagerly, but seeing how much effort is needed to craft in hixels, they are put off by the obstacles. anyway, I really love the lighting effect you have evoked here. looking forward to seeing the background finished. yay!

@Peach: that's a hell of a hixelwork! I know it's goddamn hard to keep the work in one piece all the time while working on such restrictions, but IMO it deserves more attention. I'd work a little more on lines (some of them still appear jagged) and anti-aliasing (some portions are over-aa'd, some are left plain). also, you should do something with the pillowshaded hixels nearly the beard. :)

@wah_wah_69: okay, so if you ain't asking for that, I won't criticize. oh, one thing maybe -- the background spotted pattern. . . I don't think I really like it.

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 06:06:59 pm
first of all, well, welcome to Pixelation, folks! :)

@Jonas: not bad, tho I'd gladly see something more; if you covered the whole canvas using that style, we'd certainly have some cutting-edge stuff here!

@megane: I think people approach the concept eagerly, but seeing how much effort is needed to craft in hixels, they are put off by the obstacles. anyway, I really love the lighting effect you have evoked here. looking forward to seeing the background finished. yay!

@Peach: that's a hell of a hixelwork! I know it's goddamn hard to keep the work in one piece all the time while working on such restrictions, but IMO it deserves more attention. I'd work a little more on lines (some of them still appear jagged) and anti-aliasing (some portions are over-aa'd, some are left plain). also, you should do something with the pillowshaded hixels nearly the beard. :)

@wah_wah_69: okay, so if you ain't asking for that, I won't criticize. oh, one thing maybe -- the background spotted pattern. . . I don't think I really like it.

Yes, the background was something that didn't convinced me but I'm more ashamed of the flat look it haves, I tried adding two lines of butter as war face paint but it didn't look right.

Removed the lame dotted background and added something that aims to be a dish:

Anyone feel free to C+C !

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 07:05:25 pm
pattern's okay for that kind of piece, but everything is better than just one hixel dots. I think it'd be cool to see some flying forks or even other toasts instead.

your work looks flat because the perspective's off in some places. the darkest shade inside the mouth-hole(?) suggest the form is deeper than it actually is. this one simple fix should do the trick (my rough edit on the right):

search for one-point perspective tutorials if you're still having troubles with that sort of thing.

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 09:02:46 pm
Thanks for the advice!

This is the last iteration, yes some more elements would make it seem better, but for a first "serious" approach at pixeltweaking I think it's ok.

I shouldn't have started with this whole "hexels" thing,its too restrictive and time consuming for a newbie like me.

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 01:35:03 am

hehe I just went crazy on this :) I choose the palette too early, and hence I think I should even rework the blues. let's see what I can do. I just need some spare time to dedicate onto it.
I really like the legs and the rays. but the dark blue... damn it's too saturated :-\ I think I'll also add another color in that ramp (just because I've there're only 14 colors + black in it ;) sorta bonus)

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:27 pm

That big area of green is bothering me, but i don't really know what to do with it; I might have to add in another shade of green, since neither of the ones currently adjacent to it seem subtle enough to shade it without looking garish and drawing attention away from the beam.  Or I could, like, add in some features or somethin'.  :wah:

Hixels make my head feel funny.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 04:04:31 pm by megane »
ano hito wa jiku ga buretanai
suteki

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 05:01:13 pm
That just got really fucking badass, Megane. ;D
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Peach

• Compile Me!
    • View Profile
    • The Peach Portfolio.

Reply #37 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:08 pm
hooooo
da face is harder than I thought :(
I'screaming "HIXELS" around my house...

added one more color to my palette (still one unused) but still the face do not convince me...

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 01:37:12 am
That big area of green is bothering me, but i don't really know what to do with it; I might have to add in another shade of green, since neither of the ones currently adjacent to it seem subtle enough to shade it without looking garish and drawing attention away from the beam.  Or I could, like, add in some features or somethin'.  :wah:
yea, that's pretty freakin' chill! maybe try some flora? a blade of grass or two wouldn't hurt it.

added one more color to my palette (still one unused) but still the face do not convince me...
hmm, why are you keeping colors that are useless in your palette? still, the lower part of the tunic look a bit harsh: I'm thinking about those jaggy lines just above *his* right foot.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 02:23:38 am
Welll, here is another update.. I will not finish it :/, to many colours for just a skin tone...

Still it was a fun test..

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #40 on: May 24, 2008, 02:53:32 am
Megane, that is ridicadank. Really. :D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:34 am

Croc-rockets! 8D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 02:27:34 am by Anything! »

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 01:47:43 pm

Croc-rockets! 8D

You could call them crockets and sell them for 4th July!

Offline zuloon

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 04:14:40 pm
They're not hexagons... rhombi is more like it.

Rixel it?

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: May 27, 2008, 12:15:10 am
You could call them crockets and sell them for 4th July!

Actually, I was going for the 'crotch-rocket' joke with a literal twist. 83

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 06:16:34 am

Actually, I was going for the 'crotch-rocket' joke with a literal twist. 83
[/quote]

But I already own one of those, you won't be selling much in that case.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 10:31:43 am
Off-topic: Do you have one that is an actual rocket?  ;D

On topic: Fixed image. D: Stray red pixels...

Offline wah_wah_69

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 02:32:38 pm
Of course it is, I will give a nice description on how it works/looks in full detail:
This response has been censored in order to maintain law and order.
What kind of forum do you think we run? Will you ever think of the children who hang around this forum?

Oh and by the way it's spelled lecherous not leecherouse.

Offline zephiel87

• View Profile
    • ZephPixel.com

Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 06:46:02 pm
I would think a grid like this would be a better approximation of hexagonal pixels:

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: May 28, 2008, 07:15:18 pm
I would think a grid like this would be a better approximation of hexagonal pixels:

That's more like octagonal or whatever the word is.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline zephiel87

• View Profile
    • ZephPixel.com

Reply #50 on: May 28, 2008, 10:55:06 pm
The pixels themselves aren't exactly hexagons, but they tessellate more like hexagons, which I think would ensure the result looks less like rotated pixel art.

Offline Frimkron

• View Profile
    • Homepage

Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 11:05:44 am
Ah zephiel87 you got there before me. I'd been trying out different hexagonally-tessellating patterns such as these tiny 'T' shapes:

(terrible art I know, it was just an experiment)

But your blob pattern works much nicer. I guess the pixels have to be roughly square or round for them to be useful.

Based on this, you could reduce the size of your blobs even more and get the same pattern:

I think having the hixels touching diagonally and vertically works better than diagonally and horizontally (like ptoing's original pattern), if only because it makes isometric stuff much easier. I'll have to try doing some iso work on this 2x2 hixel grid...

Offline pixelarg

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 02:44:24 pm
 :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D :) ;D

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: August 02, 2008, 10:30:36 am
isnt this all the same as pixelling something regular and turning it 45 degrees?

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #54 on: August 02, 2008, 02:51:52 pm
I think it's more like tilting your head 45 degrees and then pixelling something (except of course without the backache). This is a cool idea, just that the execution (setting up the hixel grid, painting on it) is pretty difficult. I kind of want a program that does it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 03:02:03 pm by tocky »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #55 on: September 29, 2008, 03:31:39 pm

Wanted to do a background for this eventually, smooth out the animation with more frames, and add some more elements to it to adapt into an avatar, but spent long enough on it as is  :-X

Found this hixel idea very intriguing so had to try it out!

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #56 on: November 18, 2008, 04:13:13 am

hexagons have 6 sides this only has four dont you mean diamonds so the name should be dixel it

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 08:22:29 am

This is implied.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: November 18, 2008, 09:28:27 am
Nicely done, Helm. Even with redundant aa  ;D

Also technically a hixel has 12 sides, but let's not get into that :P