AuthorTopic: New Astounding Linux Pixel Software  (Read 8445 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: New Astounding Linux Pixel Software

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 03:25:06 am
xion, any suggestion for the colormap?
i tried to do it by making weird algorythms but finally i declined for using simple and imprecise ones.
Do you think i should use the standard colormap? i think this one is different and that's the reason why i'm using it
Are you using your HSL/RGB conversion functions to render it? It looks like it's just been approximated with some Gouraud blended tris.

It's looking rather GG-like (which is very good), but I'd personally prefer a standard toolkit (Qt/GTK+) than Allegro (I'm guessing), for better desktop integration.

Will it be FOSS licensed?

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 09:24:21 am
i have been using c & allegro as they said, but i am coding it to make it easily portable. It will be open source of course.
The GUI was designed by me, but will be replaced by a modern manager.
Frame & Layer system does work now, but i havent a beta yet, coming soon.
about the colormap: yeah, they are sturdy aproximations, but no problem there , i know now how to do it :)

Xelados: if you need help with the code, don't hesitate to ask for some!

it would be a great idea to do a pixelart app for the ds, no need then to buy a tablet (lol)
thanks for the c+c so far!!

the will be more news about this stuff.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 06:55:25 am
it would be a great idea to do a pixelart app for the ds, no need then to buy a tablet (lol)
thanks for the c+c so far!!

I'm on it ;) ... I just need to work out color edition tool ... encoding #rrggbb values with the D-pad is no fun :P

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:02:42 pm
Looks very nice. I hope it will become open source, perhaps I'll even help you with programming it, then.
So, please set it up on Sourceforge or such.

However, as an aside, I wanted to ask you if you knew about mtpaint? I'm a C and Ruby programmer (I know C+++ but I dislike it, it's a beast)
and I wanted to do my own sprite editor for my game too, until I found mtpaint. I looked at mtpaint's source and it's all relatively clean
and portable C, split up nicely in over the c files, using the GTK toolkit. Because mtpaint already has a lot of nice featured, but is also a relatively small
program, I feel that it would be more easy and quick to extend mtPaint to make it more useful as a sprite and tile editor, than to start from scratch.
Basically, the main thing lacking in mtpaint now is are a tile/sprite list like in the bottom of your mockup, and a multi-column display for the palette.
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:36:27 am
Some UPDATES on the Software:

yeah, i could need sme help, so if anyone wants to help me with this prog, it will receive the same credit as me, the code is going to be released under GPL.
PS: it's nice to know there is a tool help relying on mtpaint :D

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 07:16:04 am
If you are serious about releasing the code under the GPL, please set up a project under Google Code or Sourceforge open source project hosting web site, upload the C code you have to that rpoject,  and post the link here. I will contact you through your project. I'm willing to help you out if you're willing to show that you're serious and have the stamina needed to work on such a hard project.

Also, I really recommend to enhance mtpaint. It takes one person at least 3 years to make a paint program from scratch, if the code has to be clean and relatively bug-free. So while it's very brave to try to start from scratch, I think it will take way too long. I'll contact the maintainer of mtpaint to get his opinion on this.
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Riskyproductions

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 01:26:55 pm
This would be really nice, I finally switched to Linux a couple weeks ago and have been looking for a nice (hopefully free) pixelling program. I tried the Gimp once, but it was a bit heavy for my needs.

I wish I could help program it but I use 3rd party programs to make games, no REAL coding involved.