AuthorTopic: my little world, monsters! ... [please C&C]  (Read 105558 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: my little world, WIP tree ... [please C&C]

Reply #140 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:01 am
Don't be afraid to play with the contrast on foreground objects and sprites, it makes them pop and stick out from the other things, which is probably what you want/need for them, and in that case, the hat could be a little brighter, if you want it to.

The specular thing on the sunglasses have right now aren't really reading as speculars, but more as just a dot, or a pixel, placed there, or possibly an eye that you can sorta-kinda see through them.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #141 on: February 16, 2009, 01:29:32 pm
Don't be afraid to play with the contrast on foreground objects and sprites, it makes them pop and stick out from the other things, which is probably what you want/need for them, and in that case, the hat could be a little brighter, if you want it to.

The specular thing on the sunglasses have right now aren't really reading as speculars, but more as just a dot, or a pixel, placed there, or possibly an eye that you can sorta-kinda see through them.

Well, i'm unsure about how to bring brighter shades in the hat ... i'm already reaching 100% value, so i'm only left the option to desaturate, but then the highlight looks "greyish" to me  :-\

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #142 on: February 16, 2009, 01:44:36 pm
The hat's highlights have gotten better.  You seem too afraid to go to extremes when it comes to shades, especially when it comes to things such as your tree.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: my little world, monsters! [please C&C]

Reply #143 on: March 06, 2009, 01:08:25 pm
-->
<-- possible alternative colors, 'blackcurrant' look.
Here comes my 'fruitbat'. It is supposed to be a 'mutated', mono-eyed greenberry.
Please ignore the last berry, which is a "berrybug" attempt.

Does it look "juicy" enough ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:13:07 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: my little world, monsters! ... [please C&C]

Reply #144 on: March 06, 2009, 01:46:06 pm
You need the tips to go up as he pulls down if that makes sense.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #145 on: March 06, 2009, 02:17:00 pm
You need the tips to go up as he pulls down if that makes sense.
sorry, but that goes beyond my english skills  :-[
can you rephrase that, possibly pointing frame number rather than "pulls down" ?

I tried to have the static point of the animation roughly 1/3 of the berry/wings fixation as i expect for wing'd guys: he 'lifts up' when flapping down (frame 1 -> frame 2) and falls a bit when preparing the next flap (all other frames).

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #146 on: March 06, 2009, 08:00:47 pm
As the wings push down, the air will push against the wings, mainly the tips, as they're pointed down the most, and force them back up, at least a little.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #147 on: March 06, 2009, 08:12:54 pm
The problem is that it moves inversely. Instead of going up slowly, then falling down, it seems to slowly fall down, then shoot up when he flaps. Try looking up some references? I might be wrong entirely, that's what my instinct tells me...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #148 on: March 06, 2009, 09:43:19 pm
-->
<-- possible alternative colors, 'blackcurrant' look.

reference video <-- which i wasn't using when pixeling.

Okay, so the whole purpose of the wings-flapping of bats is to maintain the gravity center still in this video, just like you'd have your body moving at constant speed when you walk because that's what minimize the energy you spend. If the bat had to "lift up" at every flap, it would be constantly fighting against its own inertia ...

I tried to convey the idea that the berry-bat is too heavy to fly efficiently in my animation. Below, an overview of "monster design" sketch for the fruitbat that should detail what i have in mind.

Therefore, i made the flap-down fast so that it gets more energy and "push" the berry upwards, at the expense of a slower flap-up (wings recoil ?) during which the berry falls down a little.

I'll give it a try with a "stable" bat, but i have the feeling that it'll be less interesting...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:40:34 am by PypeBros »

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #149 on: March 08, 2009, 12:23:30 pm
People are saying you need some wavey-type-action for your wings.

Take a piece of paper, right now, and "flap" it downward. The part of the paper that you're actively gripping will get pushed the furthest, and every other bit of the paper will follow the action of where you're gripping. The further the distance from the origin of force (grip point), the "slower" it will trail the main force.

The same goes for a bat (or ball)'s wing's. When a bat flaps its wings, most of the force is applied through the shoulder (or seems to be! I could be mistaken :) ) and as such, the bits of the wing furthest from the origin of force (in this case the shoulder) will move down at a slower rate, and thus appear to be higher.

In doing this, things form "C-curves" that instantly tell us where the force is, how much force there is, and where it is going.

The biggest problem with your ball, at the moment, is that its wings are always in a C-curve that suggests they're moving UP, and never acheive a C-curve that suggests they're moving DOWN. Confused?

C    <---- that would be a C-curve suggesting force being applied leftwardly
)     <---- that would be a C-curve suggesting force being applied toward the right.

The top curve is suggesting more force is being applied to it than the bottom curve, because of its more extreme... curve. There aren't up and down brackets, far as I know, so I hope that's clear enough! Your wing's C-curves are always suggesting UPWARD motion, and you need to imply DOWNWARD force in order to show that the body of the beast is being held UP by this DOWNWARD pressure. IF the only pressure ever seen is UPWARD, it'll sooner be seen as flying/swimming downward, rather than flying upward.

If that's not enough, I suggest you do some researchy bits on "Anticipation, Action, and Reaction" and "overlapping action / wave action" for a couple core things on animation and animating.