AuthorTopic: my little world, monsters! ... [please C&C]  (Read 105564 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: my little world, new animations ... [please C&C]

Reply #100 on: July 29, 2008, 03:20:00 pm
Sorry for such a late reply.
np ;)

The higher the range is in the foreground, the more range you can put into the background. This will make ndchristie's suggestion of making things look more organic and natural a lot easier.
Hmm. Haven't thought about it that way so far. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think the walking animation looks nice, you should research a little "sub-pixeling". Particularly sub-pixel techniques concerned with animation. That way you can get some of the motions such as that of the eyes to look smoother.
Will try that. And i will try hard to avoid introducing more colours while doing so :P

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #101 on: August 02, 2008, 06:09:45 pm
Here comes a baddie for that little forest: the "Appleman". I tried to do some sub-pixel animation on him, but i'm not sure i completely understood the technique.

(edit: okay. server is back. images too ::) )
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:19:07 am by PypeBros »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #102 on: August 05, 2008, 11:34:03 am
rhaa! i can't decide which one i should pick:
- vs - - vs - - vs -

I tried green feet too, but that's really not working at all.

Offline artisan

• View Profile

Reply #103 on: August 05, 2008, 12:33:40 pm
haha i wouldnt mention subpixel with the rant thats going on in my thread.. :D..

the animation looks good from what i can see i think it conveys character maybe more then the main guy... i would say avoid the orange foot cause it makes it look like a giant tomato to me i would go with the brown, but both shades look alright to me.

you seem to have some unescesary greens on the leaf.. i think it would look the same and just as good if the leaf was all one colour.
"Im the BATMAN" - the riddler

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #104 on: August 05, 2008, 03:11:37 pm
I vote #2.  Also, nice job :)  You're definitely improving!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #105 on: August 05, 2008, 04:02:01 pm
I vote #2.  Also, nice job :)  You're definitely improving!

Thanks. This place is a rather nice good "school", i must say. With a bit more lines of code, i guess i'll be soon ready to pixel out of those 16x16 boxes ...

i think it would look the same and just as good if the leaf was all one colour.
My initial intent was to have the leave reinforcing the tilt, sometimes showing its upper side (shinier), sometimes showing its lower side (darker). maybe i should extend the range of that green ramp (?) ...

the animation looks good from what i can see i think it conveys character maybe more then the main guy...
Somehow, i find it easier to give character to baddies/npc than to my hero. The hero is not allowed to express excessive aggressivity or fear (since he's the good guy) ...

When using it in "comic", it's easier to involve the reader in the difficulty of the path taken, but it's not quite practical to have in a game.
--

Is the player feeling at risk ? or is he feeling all-mighty and over-comfident towards the danger, seconded by the Goddess of Luck ? And should that reflect to the hero's appearance ? I'm mostly a Zelda/Mario player, where the hero barely has personnality so that he's just a virtual avatar of the player in the video game, though it's clearly not the case in Sonic whose own character is more defined.

Maybe i should get my hand back on that "10 questions to define your (theatre) character" list and figure out more "who is Bilou". Funny enough, these last years, i mostly refined his sidekick Bouli (how original, i know)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #106 on: August 06, 2008, 05:25:33 pm
--
i didn't managed to give more character (nor do sub-pixel afterwards) on the "walk" animation, but i've got a "running" animation that is working rather good. I allowed Bilou to frown while running -- after all, if he runs, that's certainly not for the pleasure in the game, and that probably means time for exploration has gone.

Please excuse the WIPness of hands and feets on the run. Shading will come next.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #107 on: August 06, 2008, 07:48:45 pm
Your little ball sure has come a long way.
The run animation is good, my only problem with it would be the eyes.
The right eye also got a pixel smaller then the left eye, looks weird.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #108 on: August 06, 2008, 07:53:09 pm
A little late, but I first noticed ND's post about platforms not looking stiff... I think an easy way to accomplish this is by having the platforms drawn OVER the player. You see this in games like Metroid and Cave Story. It allows you to make the platforms dynamically shaped, yet still look natural when the player runs straight across a slightly hilly area because the player is behind it.

If your tree platforms were draw above the player, it would give the impression the player is standing on branches inside the leaves, instead of the leaves themselves... allowing you to make the leaves shape out differently than just a straight platform.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #109 on: August 06, 2008, 07:57:39 pm
For such simple character designs, these have a whole lot of charm. :) I adore the run animation, especially the focused expression on his face. Enemy-wise, I'd agree the second one looks the best. There's enough contrast on the feet to separate them visually without being obnoxious.