AuthorTopic: my little world, monsters! ... [please C&C]  (Read 105556 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: my little world ... [please C&C]

Reply #50 on: May 23, 2008, 06:33:30 pm
makes me come with a nice alternative: powerups that alter the material Bilou is made of. I'll have fun pixel'ing "steel Bilou" that crash into walls, but indeed needs to gain momentum or "superball Bilou" that bounces again and again (and is more translucent like Zeid's first edit), etc.

While it was mentioned before, it was well before he came up with the idea to alter the materials...which is basically the whole mechanic of WADF :P  I thought that maybe by linking to the actual game it might help!

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #51 on: May 26, 2008, 08:00:40 am
ah. So that's what's happening in those "long run video" of WADF when a menu appear on the left ... the ball is changing what it is made of.

And, well, it's indeed not quite unique. Even just in the Super Mario series, we've seen "steel mario" that cracks things and be heavy enough to walk underwater. There's also the 'mario babies' of "Partners in Times" that can be flattened to access secret area and fly because of their new shape. If instead i make Bilou capable of bashing bricks with his head or throw his punch ahead to smash monsters, it's really looking too close from something super-known. And no, i don't feel like giving him sci-fi power-ups (the game is supposed to involve little magic from the "magic gems" Bilou collects after each boss), nor do i think flappy wings and bow are a good suit for Bilou (that's Kirby's job, after all).

Well, this is still under discussion with my brother (co-scenarist) anyway, but thanks for mentionning the likeliness.

Imho the "change material" has the advantage to bring consistency in power-ups (just like Mario in SMB3 gets his super-abilities by changing costume)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #52 on: June 06, 2008, 09:31:34 pm

Not yet what i want, but i have progressed enough on my editor to be able to give Bilou a new try with those new colours and style. He's way too small like this ... i'll keep you updated.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: June 07, 2008, 01:53:27 am
Why have the lightsource coming from his back? Wouldn't it be better from the front, so it illuminates his face? Looking good so far. No outlines for hands?  :(
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #54 on: June 07, 2008, 08:04:10 am

Some more. I tried working on a larger base ... Had fun animating it etc. and then crashed my editor ^^". Here's what i managed to save :P

Why have the lightsource coming from his back?
Well, because lightsource is topleft in all other tiles of the game. He'll have his face illuminated when he'll turn the other way, i guess (still have to figure out if that's realistic).

No outlines for hands?
Well, at that size, i didn't managed to make some, but he'll definitely need them. I'll give it a try on the new, larger base.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: June 07, 2008, 09:42:58 am

Just a disclaimer - it has been a while since I pixelled. Maybe the above edit can help. Tried to reduce the number of colors and used a full outline. I think your one on second row, far right is good - you should develop that.

edit: RE below: yep, the shading is inconsistent with a sphere and lightsource from above, but changing to a 'James Pond' facial structure is always an option. Main point of edit is u should reuse colors on body on the face. Oops, didn't read the whole topic, THEWEXLORZ's edit seems spot on for outlining and such.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:04:44 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #56 on: June 07, 2008, 10:05:17 am
Thanks. Your outline seems to do a better job than my sel-out, and the little line between the eyes does a great job too. Highlight on the face does not convince me, however. It gives the feeling that there's something shiny on the ground, and if we just try to make the light come from up-right corner, then we will see no highlight at all (only the eyes will get light).

(...) changing to a 'James Pond' facial structure is always an option
you mean giving him cheeks and big node so that he better catch the light ? hmm ... i'd rather not, i fear.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 11:39:04 am by PypeBros »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #57 on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:07 pm

Gave it a bit more polishing and pushed hands and feet. Also tried the "flipped" Bilou (thus with face highlighted), and i'm surprised to see him much more "shy", or reserved or whatever when he's heading left. I'll have to keep that in mind when designing levels :P

(/me wondering whether i shouldn't include an intermediary shade between ultra-dark-for-outlines and the second darkest blue ...)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:53:43 pm by PypeBros »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 09:17:42 am

New bilou among new trees. Treetops are now mine (very inspired from minish cap, i admit, but mine anyway ;) ), though still very Wip. Roots are still very WIP as well. Good thing is that i can now vary the width of the trees though the largest one doesn't completely convince me atm (if you can point out my mistakes there, you're welcome).

Hope you like the de-saturated tree and bushes in the background too ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:16:47 pm by PypeBros »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 09:29:30 am
I'm not sure it's such a good idea for Bilou to be smiling the whole time he's beating up bad guys and facing epic perils.... :o

Trees are looking better! I'll give some more real critique, but I'm too tired atm...