AuthorTopic: [WIP] Walk Cycle  (Read 4928 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

[WIP] Walk Cycle

on: May 02, 2008, 12:41:00 pm
Hey Guys I've just been working on a few rpg sprites, and although I'm content with my base at the moment, I'd like to work on animation (as its a weakness I'd like to improve upon). I started a walk cycle in silouhette so c+c is welcomed along with edits if possible.

Thanks

P.s. The head of the sprite is only a color reduced version, so shading advice isn't my goal at the moment, I'd really like help with the body's animation (the head is just attached on a separate layer). The sprite is walking slowly so that you might get a better look at each frame;  I'll mess around with frame timing etc to perfect it later on.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 04:17:33 pm by gliding »

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Re: [WIP] Walk Cycle

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:53:09 pm
I think the hip-movement would be ok for a girl, but for a guy it looks too strange. (or maybe like john wayne, but then he needs a cowboy hat)  ;)
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:30:24 pm
I think the hip-movement would be ok for a girl, but for a guy it looks too strange. (or maybe like john wayne, but then he needs a cowboy hat)  ;)

Hmm I see what you're saying, does this edit fix the problem?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:45:39 pm
That'd be okay for a run or skating, but men walking really don't have noticeable hip movement, I don't think.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:28:20 pm
Well I don't want them to walk complacently, I want a more dynamic feel for these sprites (they are active characters).

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 12:30:51 am
Well I don't want them to walk complacently, I want a more dynamic feel for these sprites (they are active characters).

knee movement, not hips.  hips are feminine.  If he's a bit of a ladyman, then sure.

also, if he's going to move his hips a bit, you may want to put the feet a little more centered (this is also womanly, but otherwise it's a little bit broken - you an't swing your hips like that without being feminine).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 05:52:23 pm
I understand what you're saying, but I'm having trouble translating that to the sprite (especially the part about the knees). I'd really appreciate an edit if anyone has spare time.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:46:26 am

Well, the main problems were the small size of the torso + the large hips.

The legs need to be straight.

There are some issues with his knees in my edit, but I am too tired to mess with it.

It might be best to make a generic walking model first, so you can get the motion down perfectly, then draw the character over it.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:21:49 pm
i thought of the same remark-about-hips as other, but there is clearly something missing in EvilEye's edit, imho.
maybe instead of oscillating, his hips should twist (or should the shoulders alone be twisting ?)