AuthorTopic: Self Portrait  (Read 3192 times)

Offline rileygombart

• We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
    • View Profile

Self Portrait

on: April 29, 2008, 02:20:37 am
Hello.  I've been here awhile but haven't posted at all.  So, here is something I did. 

Critics are very welcome no matter how harsh. 

From left to right in chronological order starting from the original. 

Thanks,
Riley Gombart
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:34:08 am by rileygombart »
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.  - MC Escher

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: Self Portrait

Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 01:31:51 am
I like this; it looks really nice especially with the new palette, but I'd say you should change your skin highlight to something warmer than what you have now, because after looking at it for a bit it looked as though there was a hole in your face. The contrast in your most resent update, while the mid-tone and highlight have a good amount of contrast, the jump between the mid-tone and shadow is a bit harsh, it might look better if you just lightened it a tad.

Other than those few nitpicks though, this is a really awesome piece; the shading is great and everything fits together so well.

I'd love to see more from you! ;D

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 02:46:31 am
I actually preferred the monochrome pallet....

Great work anyway! It is very photo-realistical considering the color count and resolution!  :y:

Offline rileygombart

• We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 07:32:35 am
@kcilc
Thanks for the crits.  I came up with this alteration. 

I agree the warmer highlights look much better.  I found an extra color I was using in the hair to blend the shadows together more.  Look any better?

@tehwexxl0rz
Thanks, I dunno if I like the monochrome palette much, but thats just my opinion.  Thanks for the compliment.  I was going for realistic in this portrait. 
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.  - MC Escher