AuthorTopic: Secret of Mana-style Sprite  (Read 9960 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Secret of Mana-style Sprite

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:27:35 am
I'd also say pose is a huge factor in the looks of SoM sprites. Most of them have some sort of dynamic pose instead of just standing and facing the viewer. Though I'm not sure if this is the direction you want to take it, I just thought I'd throw that bit in.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 03:07:31 pm
You know, given the larger size, higher colour count, and more detail in your sprite, SOM3's sprites are probably a better model (maybe you're already using these, in which case just ignore me). I agree with Dusty, too. Regardless of whether you're trying to emulate SOM's style, a slightly more dynamic pose would probably look cool.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 10:17:46 am
Wow, a lot of feedback there :) I tried to take everything into account:

- Added more character to body & legs as per Doppleganger.
- Made the whole sprite one pixel less thick as per tehwexxl0rz and Doppleganger.
- Changed eyes, face, added a mouth.

I attempted to give her a more dynamic pose after this but i found that it just looked funky. I agree that they're more cool, but at this stage i think that adding a dynamic pose would just look like i did it for the sole reason of having a dynamic pose rather than making it look better.

Well, here it is! I think it looks pretty good, so unless you have any further criticism I'd call it done!

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 11:03:28 am
I think you can still gain more from Dop's edit.
The overall body shape is much nicer in his, and there is a better flow (less square and 45 degree edges) to the hair.
Never-the-less, you're making good progess. Keep it up. :y: