AuthorTopic: rawwrrr  (Read 5271 times)

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

rawwrrr

on: December 06, 2005, 02:10:19 pm

Every time I see one of those neat iso city scenes with everything tidy and in order I think it begs for a Godzilla type monster to come in and make a little mess. :P First attempt at finishing something done in isometric perspective. Looking back on the effort involved I have a greater appreciation of how difficult it is to express things this way.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 02:15:41 pm by MadToaster »

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Re: rawwrrr

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 09:25:44 pm
Of course an amazingly stylish piece as usual.  Always so simplistic.  But I have two problems:  What in teh world is that thing at the bottom left area?  Just looks like a blob to me.  Secondly, the trees seem to look like they're from a side perspective.  If you just fix the trunks to look rounder that would probably solve the problem.  Good work, love the flames and smoke.

Offline hondo

• Wish you where here.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 09:57:03 pm
it's a tank right?

Ha ha, this is great.  I love the look of the fire and the smoke.  Good colours on it too.

I think I would adjust the scales on the his back.  It looks to me like he has some sort of growth there or something.

Are you going to work more on this?

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 11:11:00 pm
So cool. I think the trees don't fit in too well. They don't really look at all simplified like everything else. I'm also not sure about the lightest green used on the blown up tank. It breaks up the flat space in the tank and separates the tank from the overall piece. I'd like to see it without the light greent. Other than those two, this is awesome. Your mockups are looking really great now.

I remember that RPG mockup you posted a while back, and how empty and barren it looked. This piece makes much better use of the flat areas of your style, giving it a more livelier feel. I can't wait to see what you make next.

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 01:42:06 am
Wow great job on the enviroment. I'm kinda confused though, why aren't the characters in iso form. The Godzillla type monster is facing at a 90 degree angle therefore isn't in an iso-form. But I still like it. Better than I could do.  ;D

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 02:09:22 am
Wow great job on the enviroment. I'm kinda confused though, why aren't the characters in iso form. The Godzillla type monster is facing at a 90 degree angle therefore isn't in an iso-form. But I still like it. Better than I could do.  ;D

What, are you only able to face 4 different directions?  :P

This is great, very stylish.  I agree with crab about the light green.  The trees perhaps could bear some simplifying, but also they need shadows.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 03:29:52 am
honestly, I asolutley love the idea, I've always stood away from ISO because it presents that reality where everything exists inside a grid...and all the houses and elements are oriented N-W-S-E...feels awfullly restrictive, a trully messy pic with a Godzilla tearing it all up would be wet dream material.

but I feel like you got sidetracked when making it seeing how that's barely a medium-small dinosaur at all.

it seems like the whole ISO perspective daunted you as well since there's lots of blank space....and no building really looks like a building, everything barely looks like what it's supposed to.

basically....go smaller scope, higher standards

I do like the color choices...an the dragon sprite, but the pic  overall feels like a prospect of a pic

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 03:49:51 am
ah, what a refreshing view :D

not that I dislike the normal, standard looink-plastic ISO. I actually find the restrictions quite amusing!
any ways, this piece is a nice "personal style build apon template style". it's kind of what kenneth fejer did for the isocity, and I belive gunstar red also submited one a bit like that.

I have to agree with camus and the lack of building detail. I gess its a wip.

the cares are super awsome.

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 04:12:26 am
Yeah, very Fejer-y. I like it alot. Finish it.
Now.
And beautify the smoke from the fire. Billow-y. Panic-y. Yeah.

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 11:01:17 am
I'm thinking about redoing this from scratch (things you guys said motivates me to tackle it on a more epic and finished scale) but after I visit a few more ideas and formats. Been doing character design for so long now I've got an itch to make environments to put them in.

Thanks for the feedback and compliments. I'll read through the critiques again when I feel more ready to try out the other parts of this idea that I didn't have the persistence or know how to finish.

Thanks to st0ven and whoever put together the tutorials on pixel-art for info on how to work in iso. I looked at those a lot while figuring out how to make ground tiles that would tessellate.