AuthorTopic: [Wip] Starcraft sprites  (Read 24695 times)

Offline xestro

• View Profile

[Wip] Starcraft sprites

on: April 27, 2008, 06:23:23 pm
Im planning on making a little starcraft battle

these are my first sprites and tiles so their not that great

-> ->
-> ->
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:44:43 pm by xestro »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: [Wip] Starcraft sprites

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:13:44 pm
using a smaller, higher contrast palette would benefit these sprites greatly. You've used at least 10-12 colours where you could've gotten away with about half as many. I made an edit of the blue guy to demonstrate:

I also altered the pose a little, as yours seem slightly off balance, and a little stiff. I spread the legs, and shifted some stuff backwards to help give an improved sense of balance and weight. My edit doesn't look much like a space marine, but hopefully will be helpful nonetheless.

Good luck with this.  :)

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 08:25:29 pm
I am totally digging that edit. Makes me feel like doing a remake of starcraft!!

xestro: do you want to do these in the same angle as the original starcraft, or by side?  right now it looks like you're angling between both :)

Offline xestro

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:54:25 pm
I want to do a side view

here is a little edit based on yours

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:14:11 pm
That's definitely a step in the right direction. Just move his head back by a pixel or two and I think you'll, for the most part, have fixed the balance issue.

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:16:41 pm
Please, please do change the eyes away from that generic cute anime-rpg thingie, it really doesn't fit the Terrans in StarCraft any... AT ALL. They're rough guys, they smoke, the swear, they're dirty.

Apart from that, the Space-Marine looks better with the new colors. For the Siege-Tank, I'd advise you to study more reference material (both from the first and second part currently in development) - that is, if you want that tank to actually be a Siege-Tank. It just looks way different design-wise.

Can't comment on the tiles. What do they represent? Sand? They are not readable in the slightest, try thinking more of a structure behind the shapes and not of the shapes themself (ie. try drawing/shading little stones or whatever, don't draw random lines and dots in a way them seems nice when zoomed in).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:20:41 pm by dkh »

Offline xestro

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:32:40 pm

moved the head and changes the eyes

also I'm using SC2 so thats probably why the siege tank looks different to you.

also I'm scraping those tiles, just going to start over.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:48:10 pm
the marine does look much better now, but the shading lacks form, and light sources conflict. i did a small edit:

i make a messy palette, lol. otherwise, fantastic idea, good job, especially for a first! and follow dkh's good points, especially about the siege tank.

i edited your last one, with the different eyes and better balance. the new one is better, but the face doesn't read well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:51:28 pm by coran »

Offline xestro

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:00:29 pm
i like your edit
thanks

this is the reference i used

i know its still off a little, but i think its close

EDIT-

i was just looking at their site and i see what you mean
its a lot different from the concept. im not sure if ill change it or not...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:33:59 pm by xestro »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 02:16:04 am
Your Marine is looking much better now, but it doesn't really say solder-in-a-gigantic-exoskeleton as much as it could; while you have a some good building blocks so far, I think it's time you started working on the details. There are lots of tubes and little pieces of metal all over the place in the concept art, even the shoulder-plates are segmented; and the legs look really sweet with their knee-plates and shin-guards. All in all there are tons of little things that really make a Marine, a Marine.

Here's an edit to illustrate my point.

if you're planning on animating it, I would suggest to not put in quite so much detail so that the animation doesn't look all noisy.

I made the head quite a bit smaller and sunken in to give it that in-some-very-big-armor look,
increased the size of the limbs to help with detailing and that big heavy feeling,
and tried to squeeze as many details as I could into it to get it to say "Marine."

EDIT:forgot to add that I didn't use any highlights on the far leg and arm to give it a little bit more depth.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:27:49 am by Kcilc »