AuthorTopic: Rpg Mock-up Sprites  (Read 4983 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Rpg Mock-up Sprites

on: April 26, 2008, 11:10:21 pm
I was looking through a few of my pixels and found a sprite for a mockup I intended to make, yet never found the time for. I thought the sprite could use a few touch ups and I eventually went from re-doing the sprite to making a whole new set of character sprites in a stye inspired by the original.

I'd appreciate your c&c on these sprites guys.

Characters from top to bottom:
Art the gunner (pistol), Robin the scout (katana) , Derek the warrior( Short sword), Elaina the shaman (bladed rod), Marina the original (short sword)

These would be for a sidescrolling rpg (not a real one, simply a mock up)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:42:02 am by gliding »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Rpg Mock-up Sprites

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:40:46 pm
I like these a lot. I have a few nitpicks, but really, they're minor; they're probably even negligible, but crits is crits, yes?

The first thing that struck me was the characters' eyes. They all seem to have this dead-glazed-stare-thing going on, so I shifted the pupil on our right a little to the left. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, and they're supposed to be staring in a different direction, but as it's a sidescroller, I just instantly assume they should be looking either fully left or right.

Some of your colours are quite close together. In the case of the edited sprite, it's (mainly) the green and brown. You may have used separate colours to get that nice mixed-palette effect that these have going on in general, but personally I think the sprite looks just as good with one colour or the other.

Aside from that, there were just some minor banding issues, particularly in the hair and... armor-skirt-groin cover thing, though these can be fixed pretty quickly.

Here's the edit, if you're interested:

These really are sexy.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:41:51 am
 I love that style.

The guy with the katana looks more like hes weilding a stick.

Give it some curve and make it thicker.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:46:36 pm
Thanks for crits guys, I'm working on some more along with the edits that I'll post within the week