AuthorTopic: Windsong Sprite Revamp  (Read 14334 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Windsong Sprite Revamp

Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 10:16:01 pm
Awesome stuff, Helm.
That was a lovely read.
Certainly deserves a spot in the 'top threads' topic.

And some nice improvement too.

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 07:58:15 am

Made a start on the Weaver, thought I'd see what you guys thought before coloring it.  Bow's not in yet, on account of being hard as heck to draw. :-X

Oh, and I'm not trying to use selout, but rather to put a really weak outline, if you see what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:01:40 am by megane »
ano hito wa jiku ga buretanai
suteki

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 08:39:32 am
That's what selout is, though. A weak, broken outline.

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 10:16:44 am

OK, I tried to get rid of it.  The palette for this one's similar to the seeker's, but I tried making the ramps a little less straight.
suteki

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 10:36:13 am
Your 3 darkest shades are basically the same one, you're just wasting shades. The jump from your darkest shades to the immediate next one on all 3 ramps is too wide I think. That shirt needs definition under the arms and such, so it doesn't look as amorphous but instead says 'here is my torso part, here is my upper arm part), readability, so to speak. That magic spell should well enough work as a secondary lightsource on the side of the figure, and I would suggest a more adventuours, fourth ramp for it, something like a bright saturated blue for it.

The face you're using are very distancing, with the single dot eyes and squished face space. I can achieve no connection with them as represantations of humans. The seeker sprite before didn't suffer from this because of eye-white and more space generally. It'll still be a bit generic-anime-ish but that doesn't mean it can't be more human.

If you want an edit with various nitpeaks and the above points illustrated, shout.

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 02:36:39 pm

How about green?  :D
She's got a few green pixels on her arm to show the color of the light, but I don't know if they're helpful or just ugly.  Also, part of the problem with the shirt is that... it's not really a shirt, but rather a sort of poncho-like thing; the torso bit and the arm bit are all one sheet of cloth.  Yes, I realize that, were one to set out to find the absolute worst garment in which to practice archery, this one falls short only of a bourka, but anh, it looked good.  In any case, design is always second to clarity, so I tried putting some separation anyway.

As for the face, I pulled her hair back a pixel or two, added some more light, and gave her a 2x2 eye. :-\  If you're willing to do an edit, the thing to focus on would be that, and/or the palette (which is a bit better this time, hopefully).

Edit: as EvilEye suggested, here are the lv1's in a smaller format:

Edit again: OK, I redid the palette and made them both the same.  The two greens I might use in other places, or they might just be empty spaces if I need other colors later.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:20:55 pm by megane »
suteki

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 04:20:14 pm

Various edits, and how I thought a secondary lightsource of MAGIC could look

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:54 am
 D: That much light's a bit overwhelming for me...
This one looks terrible, but I have to post it eventually or I'll be fiddling with it until Sunday.
suteki

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 08:10:12 am
It looks like none of the comment-posters have ever played Battle for Wesnoth. I can understand what they are saying and I agree, but you are doing it exactly like they did in the game, so good job! :) Did you also make all the animation for them and have you coded the attacks yet? If this is finished, can I download a patch or something because I'd really like to update my wesnoth to add your characters!!! :D (I play this game with a friend when im bored at school)

Please let me know :)

Offline megane

• /swt
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 10:50:41 am
They're in the Era of Myths (which is on the campaign server), but no, I haven't animated 'em.  Gameplay-wise, they're essentially complete; it's just the art that's lacking, due to my being hopelessly slow and sucky.
suteki